Jeep Wrangler Factory Fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the factory fill of the Jeep Wrangler? I would assume all gas Chrysler products, especially those equipped with the Pentastar, would get this oil too, but who knows.
21.gif

It's not synthetic that's for sure. Also I like to get the first fill out by 1000 miles. With synthetics running not much more that's what I'd go with.

Around 3k miles everything gets nice and broken in.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
IIRC it's PYB 5W20. That's what they told me was in my 2016 Wrangler.

Factory fill engine oil is a commodity product, it goes out for bid often (most often annually). Lowest bidder that meets specs gets the contract. Having Mobil1 or some other brand on the oil fill cap doesn't even guarantee that product since it's just advertising space.

I guess I need to qualify the above statement. I work for GM and have seen 4 separate MSDS for engine oil in one plant. I got curious and called two friends on the subject, one who is an engineer at Chrysler and another High School buddy who works at Ford. They confirmed my findings to be true.

Its bulk oil from Shell. Nothing special. The manual suggests Pennzoil or Shell Helix by brand name.
PYB if you want to stick with what it came with.

I dont know about the other FCA plants but this is what I was told about the wranger plant in Ohio. There are a few employee's there who post on WrangerForum.

Last edited:
I did a UOA on my then new 14 Wrangler factory fill and it came back with all the tells of PYB 5W-20 conventional.

Hi dlundblad. Seems like you already received the answer, but we did want to confirm Chrysler recommends Pennzoil 5W-20 for this vehicle meeting FCA Material Standard MS-6395. All of our Pennzoil 5W-20 products meet the requirement. Our best protection is provided by our full synthetic products, either Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Pennzoil Platinum products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back