What do you do with your left overs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nosing through my shed I currently have...

2 Litres ASDA 5w40 A3/B4
2 Litres ASDA 5w30 C3 & VW504/507
1 Litre Total Quartz 9000 0w30 A3/B4
1 Litre Mobil1 New Life 0w40
2 Litres Comma 5w30 Ford WSS-M2C913D

What do you do with all your left overs?

My lawnmower takes a litre but only gets one change a year.

None of my cars use oil so I never have any need for top-offs.

My Mothers Suzuki Jimny is due a service in October and I'm tempted to mix all the *w30's but don't really want to either.

So what do I do with it all?

Well, you've said you don't really want to mix. So that leaves purchasing oils to match what you have, for the quantity you will need.

Mix them into a Frankenbrew, keep them for friends/co-workers that may need topping off, carry in your car and give it to somebody that is checking their oil at the gas station or parts store, sell them/give them all away at once away, or toss them in the trash/recycle. Your choice.

Me personally, I don't have "leftovers, just oil to use.
I would mix them for an oil change that can take the grade. You have 5 liters of xw-30, and the Jimmy takes like 4.2? If summertime,
mix all the xw-40 and us that, and top it up with xw-30.
Some here worry about "additive clash", if you are concerned with it, just mix all the ASDA oil together and use that, topping up to full with a xw-30.

What the others have said, mix them anyway!
They're all mixable and will be fine as an oil change for any vehicle that can use that weight. NO WORRIES!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Frankenbrew

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
and I'm tempted to mix all the *w30's but don't really want to either.

What are you afraid is going to happen?

A number of us here long thought that mixing was a bad idea that would lead to unpredictable viscosities in the mix.
sonofjoe then posted that if you mixed any oils of any given W qualification, you'd still end up with a blend that met the same W qualification.
You have a total of six liters of 5W oil, which should be more than sufficient for the little Suzi, so mix away.
If it makes you feel any better about it, Suzuki engines seem undemanding and quite robust, or at least that was the case for those Suzuki products sold in the US, including some classic small cheapies like the Geo Metro.

For the OC's I do at my small shop I buy a lot of 5 qt. jugs from Wal-Mart, and occasionally wind up with a partial jug or partial quart of something less common like euro 0w40 or straight 30. The more common grades, I'll use for top-off if a car takes slightly more than 5 qts. - might fudge 1/2 qt. of 10w30 into a sump of 5w30, etc.

But most of the time my oil stash gets purged when an old truck (seems like they're always V6's) comes in with no oil on the stick - three different ones have taken 4-5 qts. to fill them up, and I always tell the customer they really need an oil change so I'll dump all the small bits into the sump and run it for a couple minutes to make some attempt at washing all the sludge down before I change it.

If it weren't for using up my stash extras I'd have never discovered the in-laws' Caravan doesn't guzzle oil when it's filled with 0w40!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Frankenbrew

coffee2.gif

Last time I had a bunch of left over oil, I used it in my truck for one year. different brands, viscosities and conventional and synthetic.

With exception of Comma stuff that is A5,Ford special, all others oils are high HT-HS and all perfectly mixable. Give the Ford oil to a neighbor with a Ford or Volvo. Use rest with confidence.

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992

My Mothers Suzuki Jimny is due a service in October and I'm tempted to mix all the *w30's but don't really want to either.

That's the ticket. I can't see the Jimny being too picky.

I mix up all kinds of stuff in my 3.0L Ranger. I can't even remember what all is in it now...I know at least Eneos and Napa synthetic oil of various weights.

Obviously, in some vehicles you need to be much more selective/picky, but the Jimny is an old school 4WD that is sold in places with a really bad selection of motor oil.

With two 6 quart motors - the 6th quart is seldom the same as the jug ... but my stash is around 6 jugs and a dozen bottles ... so fairly moderate for this crowd (not counting ATF and other)

You've convinced me guys!

I usually run a *w30 A5/B5 in it as it just gets used around town and my Mother doesn't drive it hard. I usually like a Castrol Edge 0w30 A5/B5 or if I can't find that I use a Ford 913D oil like the Comma I've got.

I think I'll mix a frankenbru of the Total Quartz 9000 0w30 A3/B4, Mobil1 New Life 0w40 and Comma 5w30 Ford WSS-M2C913D. All 3 very good oils and spec'd for the Jimny anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back