Shell Rotella CJ-4 15w40 Syn-Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I think the link is just an old photo. I don't think the new stuff is gas rated.

Okay, thanks

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I think the link is just an old photo. I don't think the new stuff is gas rated.

Checked the Rotella Syn-blend at Walmart today.

CK-4 but definitely no SN rating on the 10w-30 or 15w-40 weights.

Does it show MA rating/spec? If it does, it's OK for a gasser
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Neely97
http://rotella.shell.com/

Just in case there is any doubt about the forces driving the change to CK-4.

From the Rotella website:

"The new PC 11 category is being driven by changes to fuel economy and emissions regulations that are prompting changes to engine components/sizes and often resulting in hotter operating temperatures".
Translation- small engines and turbos

"The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and major engine manufacturers have agreed on ambitious new goals for fuel economy and emissions". i.e. the insane Obama era 53 MPG CAFE mandates and zero emissions.

Ha! "major engine manufactures have agreed on ambitous new goals", (as if they had much choice in the matter).

Well, at least Shell is honest about it and for now still offers some a couple real HDEO.

Fuel economy and emissions targets have been a challenge for automakers for what, 40 years now? CK-4 really isn't doing a bunch of anything with respect to enhancing protection of emissions systems or cutting fuel usage. If you want an emissions sensitive diesel oil, you need to go beyond CK-4, or even FA-4.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Looks like only the T6 and T4 4 are MA rated ... Maybe I missed something, but don't see MA for the T5 line.

T5 is the odd man out, Shell has never claimed JASO MA for it. I've used it before in my bike with no issues, though.

Hi @Rock_Hudstone, we wanted to share with you some information from a technical bulletin highlighting the recent industry change associated with the introduction of the API CK-4/FA-4 categories. This change has taken place due to an agreement by API members and engine manufacturers to amend the API requirements for allowing diesel engine oils to historically claim gasoline category approvals.

Previously, heavy duty engine oil marketers could claim an API gasoline performance standard on their products if they met CJ-4 and the required performance tests for gasoline standards. The recommended viscosity grades for modern gasoline engines are XW-20s and XW-30s. As such, this waiver process is being phased out. Heavy duty engine oils which are XW-30s (and which claim API CK-4 approval) cannot also claim API gasoline standards, unless they meet the current phosphorous requirements/limits. With that said, The new fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 is one such product that meets the performance requirements of API CK-4 as well as API SN and is formulated with 800 parts per million of phosphorous, which meets the API SN requirements.

While the industry waiver is still currently in existence for heavy duty engine oils that are XW-40’s, this remains in discussion to be addressed by the API in the near future.

However, as a leader in the transport industry, the Shell ROTELLA® brand has made the decision to remove API SN claims, regardless of viscosity, from our other products which do not meet the preferred low-phosphorous chemistry for gasoline engines. It’s also important to note that there is no change in formulation associated with this change. It simply means that Shell ROTELLA® products will no longer claim formal API SN approval for products other than our fully synthetic Shell ROTELLA® T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30 on labels, technical data sheets, rotella.com and marketing materials moving forward.

- The Shell Rotella Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back