2001 Honda Accord V6, AT, LX 4 Dr questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier this week my sister in law was in accident and her car was totaled. Did some looking around and found a two owner Honda Accord that for the last 8 year or so was driven by an older gentleman 40 plus miles a day back and fourth to work. He no longer has room for the car in the garage as he purchased a hot rod of sorts to enjoy during retirement.

The car has 145K on the odometer, has been maintained at the local Honda dealership as the PO's son is an employee there, and recently had a remanufactured Honda transmission installed (139K). Overall the car appears to be in good condition with the two major exceptions being it needs tires and there is no record of the timing belt being replaced. The PO was upfront about both issues and with all of the other work that was done at the dealership I am surprised by the TB being neglected.

I have no prior experience with Honda vehicles and I have done some reading online about common issues but would like input from the BITOG community from those who have more experience with this generation of Accord.

I am trying to determine what other items should be replaced as a part of the time belt job. New OE parts will be used for the key components such as the water pump, idler pulley, tensioner roller, camshaft seals, crankshaft seals, and thermostat. I am also planning to replace the other fluids, the coolant, upper and lower radiator hoses, spark plugs, and adjust the valves. What other things should be added to the list? Are there other things I should be looking at as well?

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

New OE timing belt(YES, OE) and all of the other related parts you have already mentioned is an excellent starting place. This can usually be purchased in a whole kit from either Aisin(not Asian) or Mitsuboshi(not Mitsubishi). Both are identical kits(in their own pkgs),IIRC. Aisin makes the water pump and Mitsuboshi makes the belts and tensioner. Amazon may have the best prices.

I believe this generation of Accord also had some Front Cross Member or Sub Frame rotting so, look for that as well, I think on the front passenger side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R01p2eupalU

Then after that it's just typical stuff!

Last edited:
I have a 2000 Honda coupe a/t with the v6. I'm almost at 200000 miles. The transmission is the weak link on this car. Yours has a reman Honda tranny in it so it will be good for many, many miles. Ok so it needs tires and timing belt. A set of Michelin defenders will be 560.00. A garage will change the timing belt and components for 1000.00. You can buy a timing belt kit from Rock Auto for around 310.00 and do it yourself or have a friend do it. Change the transmission fluid every 30,000 with genuine Honda fluid. You will need 3 quarts per change and its really easy to do. You have some room to haggle on this car. If the car looks good then have a real discussion with the owner and settle on a price. Honda makes good stuff!!

As long as the transmission has a transferable warranty, I have had 3 of the Honda remans fail at about 20K, they are no better than the originals in fact they are worse if that's possible. If the warranty is original purchaser only I still wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole.

Quote:
Honda makes good stuff!!

What do they put in that Honda Koolaid?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back