Eclipse and hotel rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for the heck of it I thought I'd check out hotel room prices in cities that will be in the main path of the eclipse on 8/21.
shocked2.gif
shocked2.gif

I work for a hotel chain known worldwide that can charge some pretty hefty sums for a night, but WOW! Do a Trivago search for Casper Wyoming. Idaho Falls.
Supply and demand.

My wife already has done this just for the fun of it. The Econo Lodge is like $400.00 a night. People are renting out their front lawns for camping spaces at $200/$300 night. Here in Utah-we are supposed to see 90% of it. I think I will stay home.

I checked a few months ago and even the Red Lion in Salem, OR was $1300 night. Some REAL gouging going on!

I have heard the Oregon DOJ is going after some of them now.

We are going to spend the night before and night of with a friend in Salem, then go to the coast to a rental house for the rest of the week. Should be interesting!

Driving through Oregon the other day, I caught a news bit about those in "the path of totality". One fellow has been anticipating the event for years, and specifically built his house in "the path of totality".

Everybody needs a hobby..

For the 2 1/2 minutes it lasts I'd just pull over and watch it. I guess some people want to make it out like Super Bowl party.

Just lock yourself in a windowless and doorless room for couple of days, don't look at watch for couple of days and then have the alarm go off in the middle of moonless night and go outside and it will be like your own eclipse anywhere on the earth -)

Just book a hotel 50-75 miles off the eclipse path. I bet prices fall dramatically just north or south of it.

Luckily, we are timing a pass through the eclipse path, traveling back from Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, and W. Virginia to Texas, after touring historical battle sites (like Gettysburg) for my sons senior trip. He is a History major. We will pass through Tennessee, and stop near Athens.
thumbsup2.gif

If the projected path is correct, it will be right on top of us. Several neigbors are talking about how packed our little community will be the weekend before the Monday event. The bride and I plan on stocking up on the Thursday before and just hunkering down until it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back