Accord oil filter from Napa

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used that brand filter on my wife's Crosstrek. When I removed it, a bunch of oil came spilling out, much more than usual. Upon inspection, I found out the reason oil spilled out is because the anti-drainback valve failed and all of the oil in the filter drained out, when it should've stayed in the filter. The valve was actually loose and had no tension to hold the oil back. I definitely will not be using those filters any more.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Here's a link to a thread on topic Full oil filter. 'Appears' to be solid construction, afaik a coo of China. Filter element doesn't look like either the A01 or A02 Honda oem. Classic metal endcap construction.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4393752/1

And no relationship to Napa Gold filters.

Nice,thanks!

I looked at the Fram TG the other day and they just look really sloppy. I've been looking at alternatives to the OEM's if I don't feel like driving to the Honda dealership.

You're using a top tier oil, so why not a top tier filter? Couple more bucks for an Ultra and you know what your getting.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I looked at the Fram TG the other day and they just look really sloppy.

??? what do you mean?

What drains are you gonna run on this thing?
I do drains after the MM hits 15% on mine and even saw 10% once. The little wrench illuminating at 15% on every start does get annoying. This equates to 8-9K in our use of this Accord and I ran the FF 8700 miles to 15% MM, since Honda was pretty adamant in recommending that the FF be run for a full normal interval.
I have a tight and clean looking engine after 71K of this, so I can't see changing any sooner.
I'd use a premium filter, like the Ultra, M1 or white body K&N, all of which I've used in this car when I could get a deal on them.
The OEM oil filters are known for low efficiency as well as for holding up to the two drain FCIs Honda recommends for this car, although I've never run an oil filter for two OCIs.
Filter efficiency is probably academic, since after break-in there isn't much to filter out.
Posts about how Brand X filter had a failed ADBV probably aren't important since you'll find an occasional bum filter in the productions runs of any brand and since the engine in your car has the filter installed base end up and perfectly perpendicular to the ground, it probably doesn't matter at all.
If you're going to go to MM limits, I'd recommend an Ultra or M1. If you're going to do short drains, then almost any oil filter will do IMHO.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
or white body K&N

I'm fairly certain that the K&N (black) PS-xxxx and (white) HP-xxxx have the same filter media, and that the only difference is that the HP has that nut on the end for "easier removal." I don't think it's worth the extra money to buy the HP unless you necessarily need the nut for easier removal.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

I looked at the Fram TG the other day and they just look really sloppy.

??? what do you mean?

I took it out of the box and looked it over really well. The media pleats through the holes were very unevenly spaced and not symmetrical,the adbv wasn't lined up straight,and just basically looked slapped together and cheaply constructed. Really lightweight and flimsy. But,the TG's for my Nissan always look perfect,as I've used many of them. I compared it to an M1 side by side and the M1 was much more precisionly constructed.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
What drains are you gonna run on this thing?
I do drains after the MM hits 15% on mine and even saw 10% once. The little wrench illuminating at 15% on every start does get annoying. This equates to 8-9K in our use of this Accord and I ran the FF 8700 miles to 15% MM, since Honda was pretty adamant in recommending that the FF be run for a full normal interval.
I have a tight and clean looking engine after 71K of this, so I can't see changing any sooner.
I'd use a premium filter, like the Ultra, M1 or white body K&N, all of which I've used in this car when I could get a deal on them.
The OEM oil filters are known for low efficiency as well as for holding up to the two drain FCIs Honda recommends for this car, although I've never run an oil filter for two OCIs.
Filter efficiency is probably academic, since after break-in there isn't much to filter out.
Posts about how Brand X filter had a failed ADBV probably aren't important since you'll find an occasional bum filter in the productions runs of any brand and since the engine in your car has the filter installed base end up and perfectly perpendicular to the ground, it probably doesn't matter at all.
If you're going to go to MM limits, I'd recommend an Ultra or M1. If you're going to do short drains, then almost any oil filter will do IMHO.

I've always been a 3/3k guy.

Anyone have pics of the Ultra for Honda apps?

Google the following search string:

bobistheoilguy site: xg7317

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Anyone have pics of the Ultra for Honda apps?

Google the following search string:

bobistheoilguy site: xg7317

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

I was the same for many years but have come to accept that modern oils are good for far longer than that in most applications.
An old dog can learn new tricks and the evidence that the engine will be fine on drains longer than 3K is overwhelming.
Still, your car, your bucks, your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back