2014 Hyundai Accent: Oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all-

Love the site. As a car nerd and technician I love the wealth of information.

I dug around as much as I could, but I didn't see much related to this particular engine. I plan to purchase my father's '14 Hyundai Accent next spring. It's got the 1.6 GDi engine and 6mt transmission. I need something easier on the wallet than the 16 mpg pig I drive right now, as much as I love my beast.

Anyhow, he's owned the car since brand new. It's only ever been serviced by me, and he's religious about intervals. It's run nothing but 5w20 full synthetic since it was new. Unfortunately, I'm not able to go with him when be buys supplies, but it's almost always been Pennzoil Platinum with either a Bosch or STP filter. Bosch more often than not. He's not hard on the car at all, it's currently got around 65k and has been running 5k OCI's since new.

My '03 Marauder, on the other hand, has had a steady diet of Amsoil 5w40 european blend, until recently I switched to Amsoil full synthetic 5w30. 5k intervals. It used less than a half quart of either oil over the course of a cycle, and it almost always comes out still golden(ish). This is funning cheapy FVP filters that I pay $1.61 cost for at work. Don't bash me, the thing has 209k miles on it and that 4.6 purrs like the day it was new. I'm NOT easy on it. It actually amazes me how strong these modular motors are.

Last oil change, I noticed that the Hyundai's oil was BLACK. This car has been perfectly maintained, and granted I don't see many DI engines come through my shop, but his seemed darker than I'm comfortable with. It doesn't consume any, just seems dirtier than it should be.

So what say you, oil gods? I'd like to get a jummp on getting this engine clean well before I purchase it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Hi all-

I dug around as much as I could, but I didn't see much related to this particular engine. I plan to purchase my father's '14 Hyundai Accent next spring. It's got the 1.6 GDi engine and 6mt transmission. I need something easier on the wallet than the 16 mpg pig I drive right now, as much as I love my beast.

Anyhow, he's owned the car since brand new. It's only ever been serviced by me, and he's religious about intervals. It's run nothing but 5w20 full synthetic since it was new. Unfortunately, I'm not able to go with him when be buys supplies, but it's almost always been Pennzoil Platinum with either a Bosch or STP filter. Bosch more often than not. He's not hard on the car at all, it's currently got around 65k and has been running 5k OCI's since new.

My '03 Marauder, on the other hand, has had a steady diet of Amsoil 5w40 european blend, until recently I switched to Amsoil full synthetic 5w30. 5k intervals. It used less than a half quart of either oil over the course of a cycle, and it almost always comes out still golden(ish). This is funning cheapy FVP filters that I pay $1.61 cost for at work. Don't bash me, the thing has 209k miles on it and that 4.6 purrs like the day it was new. I'm NOT easy on it. It actually amazes me how strong these modular motors are.

Last oil change, I noticed that the Hyundai's oil was BLACK. This car has been perfectly maintained, and granted I don't see many DI engines come through my shop, but his seemed darker than I'm comfortable with. It doesn't consume any, just seems dirtier than it should be.

So what say you, oil gods? I'd like to get a jummp on getting this engine clean well before I purchase it.

DI engines make more soot. This makes for black oil

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Makes sense, I guess I didn't notice it before. When he comes in for a change I'm usually in a hurry and not paying that close of attention anyways.

Hi all-

How does this 'soot' get produced in a DI engine? I'm not doubting you but just wondering why?

Originally Posted By: pbm

How does this 'soot' get produced in a DI engine? I'm not doubting you but just wondering why?

From what I have been reading, it's a problem with fuel atomization droplets.

It's so bad in DI cars, that the rumor is they will need DPF's (just like diesels)!

Along with bad intake valve deposits and oil dilution problems, it's Weird to think we've stepped backwards with this "technology"

Last edited:
Swiss team concludes that particulate filters should be mandatory for GDI engines
24 May 2017

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05/20170524-gdi.html

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/10/20131016-maricq.html
However, unlike conventional gasoline engines, gasoline direct injection engines produce particulate matter, as do diesels, and emission controls will become an issue the technology must address as standards for particle mass tighten, and also as standards for particle numbers emerge.

Particulate matter = soot

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Swiss team concludes that particulate filters should be mandatory for GDI engines
24 May 2017

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/05/20170524-gdi.html

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/10/20131016-maricq.html
However, unlike conventional gasoline engines, gasoline direct injection engines produce particulate matter, as do diesels, and emission controls will become an issue the technology must address as standards for particle mass tighten, and also as standards for particle numbers emerge.

Particulate matter = soot

Geez, makes me glad I have good old port injection

Makes sense, I guess I didn't notice it before. When he comes in for a change I'm usually in a hurry and not paying that close of attention anyways.

http://articles.sae.org/13624/

Quote:
Unhealthy soot
Confirmation of the hazard comes via a recent study conducted by researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s (ORNL) Fuels, Engines and Emissions Research Center who found that sample GDI engines emit five to 10 times more particulate matter than their PFI counterparts.

Can a dual rated HDEO CJ4/SM SN do a cleaning up of residual soots .?

Originally Posted By: Danno
I highly recommend using the OEM filter. Built like a tank and gives the proper oil pressures.

I wish this rumor would die.

Does the filter provide higher flow? Higher than what? I would say that the OEM filter is on the upper end of flow rates, but I guess that is to be expected from filter rated to 50 microns.

Is it the only one that allows "the proper oil pressures"? Not by a long shot. Fram Ultra has a Hyundai-specific design, which is a much better filter for only $2 more. If the concern is that extra $2, please know that the Hyundai OEM filter is rated to 7,500 miles and the Fram Ultra is rated to 15k, so you can actually save money by running the Fram the full 15k.

Is it build like a tank? Well, to be honest I'm not really sure what this means. The filter is not an extended drain filter and it does not provide even close to similar filtration as top tier filters.

This is the Hyundai OEM filter compared to a Mobil1 filter:

Mobil1 filter particle counts:
ISO Code (3): 15/14/12
>= 2 Micron: 479
>= 5 Micron: 177
>= 10 Micron: 49
>= 15 Micron: 19
>= 25 Micron: 4 (typical aftermarket filter rated to 20micron)
>= 50 Micron: 0
>= 100 Micron: 0

Hyundai OEM 26300 35503:
ISO Code (3): 17/17/14
>= 2 Micron: 2474
>= 5 Micron: 916
>= 10 Micron: 253
>= 15 Micron: 98
>= 25 Micron: 23
>= 50 Micron: 2
>= 100 Micron: 0

Now, can you use the Hyundai OEM filter? Of course. If that's what makes you sleep better at night, go for it. However, there are better filters out there that can actually save you money and are rated to 20 microns as opposed to 50 microns.

If you decide to look into aftermarket filters, look for filters that have a silicone anti-drain back valve. I recommend the Fram Ultra, which for this 2014 Accent would be: XG9688.

As for oil, I've heard of people running 0W-20/30 with lots of success, and in the case of Mobil1 AFE, the OW seems to be mostly PAO based. However, most any oil will work in the XW-20/30 range.

Last edited:
I am using the Fram ultra XG9688 on both my Hyundais. Next week I'll change the oil on the Genesis Coupe and cut the filter open. It will have about 10k miles on it (2 years). My Accent went most of it's life on the OEM filters but now is at 10k miles on the XG9688 and I'll go the whole 15k miles (1 year) on it.

The Genesis Coupe will get a slightly bigger filter next time with the Fram XG3593A.

That being said my Accent was ran on M1 0w20 most of it's life either AFE or the regular stuff, now on M1 5w30 high mileage. Burns less oil now then it ever did. The Genesis Coupe gets M1 0w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng

http://articles.sae.org/13624/

Quote:
Unhealthy soot
Confirmation of the hazard comes via a recent study conducted by researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s (ORNL) Fuels, Engines and Emissions Research Center who found that sample GDI engines emit five to 10 times more particulate matter than their PFI counterparts.

Can a dual rated HDEO CJ4/SM SN do a cleaning up of residual soots .?

HDEO is set up to handle soot yes. One of the 10w30 would be a good pick

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll have him switch to the Fram Ultra filter next round. Should he just stick to the PP 5W20? Any benefit to switching to either 5w30 or PUP 5w20/30? I forgot to mention the car does get the occasional Amsoil PI dumped in the tank, usually a double dose since it's an 11 gallon tank and PI treats up to 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back