Puroloator - all kidding aside

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know Purolator has a well deserved bad rap. I have never really used Purolators unless you count the Motorcraft filters I have been using religiously. I was not aware that Puro made them until I started browsing this forum.

The question is - are there any Purolators that can be trusted? Like the Boss, for instance. I've seen the different cut opens here where the value and Puro Ones have tears in them.

Purolator fixed the problem with tearing media at least a year ago. All brand new filters from Purolator and Motorcraft can be trusted. Also, their previous synthetic filter (the PSL) was never affected, and neither was the Bosch Long Life filter (possibly neither the Bosch D+ as well, but I'm not sure on that).

For what vehicle are you possibly considering a Purolator?

The tall Purolators have had the most tearing issues. The 14610 has been one of the highest offenders. Now, the 14612 which is the shorter version with exact same psi, gasket size and thread size has had zero problems. There are some of the somewhat shorter ones that have had issues as well. The Boss filters have been good so far I believe. The mesh backing likely helps with this situation. Question is whether or not you need a filter that had a history of issues.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Question is whether or not you need a filter that had a history of issues.

The Purolator synthetic (PSL) never had any issues, nor did the Boss.

Originally Posted By: Peter_480
So I know Purolator has a well deserved bad rap. I have never really used Purolators unless you count the Motorcraft filters I have been using religiously. I was not aware that Puro made them until I started browsing this forum.

The question is - are there any Purolators that can be trusted? Like the Boss, for instance. I've seen the different cut opens here where the value and Puro Ones have tears in them.

Just the two Ford vehicles I have listed, which is the MC 820s and 910s.

Originally Posted By: CARJ
Are the FL910S fine for a 3k-5k OCI? I'm using one on my 4runner currently.

They are fine to 10k. Not many issues with this model.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Purolator fixed the problem with tearing media at least a year ago. All brand new filters from Purolator and Motorcraft can be trusted.

False, there have been reported tears in the new "improved" Purolators. Plus some of the new Purolators have reports of cut/torn ADBVs and louvers that are almost closed. Purolator isn't out of the woods yet. Don't know where you're getting the idea they have been "fixed" for 2 years - ??

Hey hoss, did I say that the Purolator Boss or former Synthetic filters ever have issues?? No, I did not. I did not specify any particular level of their products. But while on the topic of clarification the regular and Pureone did have issues. And they still are by the way.... Look them up. The Boss and the former Synthetic ones remained and have remained tearing problem free. Now some of the ADBV have had cuts/tears in them. For the record... I cut and posted two good Purolator filters last summer. One a 14610 Pureone and red 14612. Both of mine were in very good shape.

Last edited:
I cut open an 11 year old Purolator Premium Plus 4477 today (the regular old Purolator before it was called 'The Classic'). The filter was made in January 2006 and ran for 10 months and 6500 miles on my Corolla using synthetic oil. The pleats were perfectly spaced and had NO tears.
Apparently Purolator knows how to make an oil filter that doesn't tear but for some reason they allowed those GARBAGE filters to stay in production long after the problem was known to exist....for that reason I won't buy anymore Purolator filters...

Purolator fixed the problem with tearing media at least a year ago. All brand new filters from Purolator and Motorcraft can be trusted. ...

So where did you hear that?

Puro made Penzoil PZ-37 Filter, made August 25, 2016:

full-4879-7369-12.jpg

full-4879-7368-11.jpg

Originally Posted By: Peter_480

Just the two Ford vehicles I have listed, which is the MC 820s and 910s.

The 820s has been one of the biggest offenders of tearing; the 910s, I don't think I have heard of any issues with them.

My 820s were horrible.
I quit using all of them except a 910s for a zero turn test posted on here.
Baldwin have looked bad inside unused.... They are out too....

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Question is whether or not you need a filter that had a history of issues.

The Purolator synthetic (PSL) never had any issues, nor did the Boss.

Media, no. ADBV have tears/cuts in them consistently.

.....possibly neither the Bosch D+ as well, but I'm not sure on that).

I haven't found any instance of the Bosch Distance pLUS+ tearing.

I got the last 3 "FL-820s" equivalents (D3410) from local walmart for $3 each

Purolator fixed the problem with tearing media at least a year ago. All brand new filters from Purolator and Motorcraft can be trusted. Also, their previous synthetic filter (the PSL) was never affected, and neither was the Bosch Long Life filter (possibly neither the Bosch D+ as well, but I'm not sure on that).

For what vehicle are you possibly considering a Purolator?
Purolator fixed the problem?

No. They just started painting the cans different colors. There's been posts of the new can paint job tearing, less posts on here since less people are using those garbage cans.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Purolator fixed the problem with tearing media at least a year ago. All brand new filters from Purolator and Motorcraft can be trusted.

False, there have been reported tears in the new "improved" Purolators. Plus some of the new Purolators have reports of cut/torn ADBVs and louvers that are almost closed. Purolator isn't out of the woods yet. Don't know where you're getting the idea they have been "fixed" for 2 years - ??

Exactly! They haven't been fixed, though some people would like to believe that. My question is why trust them? With their lousy quality and attitude why bother? Especially when there are better filters w/o any of the Purolator drama. If I were to go back in the water I'd figure out when they first started having problems, and when the problems actually stopped. Then calculate how many years it took them to fix, and wait at least that long, and monitor the board to see that the problem did in fact stop. One tear during that waiting period would start the process all over again, from day one. But that's just too much work for me, so I won't use them anymore.

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
Once a tearolator, always a tearolator

Yep! Not something I'm likely to forget either. What sucks is on occasion there are oil change specials that might be good, the deal breaker is most include a Purolator filter. No thanks!

Originally Posted By: AntsinmyEyes
Once a tearolator, always a tearolator

I have to challenge this. Not because I love Purolator or anything like that, but look at Fram. They had a horrible reputation for a long time and now this forum is filled with Fram fanboys. So companies are perfectly capable of turning around a bad reputation. But that simply won't happen overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back