Ford Powerstroke 6.7 Motorcraft FL2051S

Well I can't say I'm that happy about the way it looks after only 4300 miles of service. This is the only picture worth posting as the rest of the filter looked ok, ADBV was nice and pliable. End cap was beefy, but so was the Hyundai Filter that I cut along side it (almost the exact same weight). Also confirmed with another post around here speaking that this filter could possibly be synthetic media, debunked that myth.

It is what it is... Glad I spun on a Donaldson this time...

xuhWnEN.jpg

EDIT : For whatever reason (forum noob) I uploaded the photos and now they refuse to show up. So let me figure this out real quick.

Last edited:
Hopefully someone can help with pictures. Interested in learning what you found...been considering a Donaldson as well. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Hopefully someone can help with pictures. Interested in learning what you found...been considering a Donaldson as well. Thanks for sharing.

Got it fixed using Imgur

Thanks for sharing. I am new to filter wear and tear but that does look beat up. Hopefully some experts way in. Appreciate the share asleepz.

There's nothing wrong with that filter so long as there were no tears. Motorcraft filters have been known to have wavy media brand new, as evidenced by multiple virgin Motorcrafts cut open and posted here. Wavy media in no way effects its performance. Other users have posted pics of Motorcraft filters after somewhere between 12k and 15k miles, without issue. The Purolator tearing issue has been solved for at least a year if not almost two years now. Any brand new Motorcraft can be used without fear. That isn't to say there aren't better filters out there (that are similarly priced and have equal if not better efficiency) that could be used instead.

I'm concerned about the little rope they put around the media. Isn't it supposed to be centered? Or at least reasonably in the middle.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I am going with a WIX synthetic in my Powerstroke next oil change.

I have a Wix XP sitting on the shelf as well...

Originally Posted By: asleepz
I'm concerned about the little rope they put around the media. Isn't it supposed to be centered? Or at least reasonably in the middle.

You're kidding right? The rope does absolutely nothing. It is most likely only used to keep the media hugging the center tube during the process of building the filter so that the end caps can be glued on. It serves no purpose after the end caps are glued on.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330

You're kidding right? The rope does absolutely nothing. It is most likely only used to keep the media hugging the center tube during the process of building the filter so that the end caps can be glued on. It serves no purpose after the end caps are glued on.

No I’m not kidding, this isn’t some [censored] Fram vs Purolator post. I’m concerned it could come loose. It’s on the prefiltered side so I don’t guess it would be a huge deal but still. If it does absolutely nothing as you say why would it be there ?

I ran one, maybe two of these on my Powerstroke, and switched to CQ Blues made by Clarcor and Affinia. They have full synthetic wire backed media. These MC filters are bottom of the barrel and cost far too much for what you get.

The Purolator tearing issue has been solved for at least a year if not almost two years now. Any brand new Motorcraft can be used without fear.

People here are still finding torn Purolators, and they are the "new" supposedly improved models. Also, there have been new issues with the newer Purolators like cut/torn ADBVs and louvers that are barely opened up. Purolators (and maybe Motorcraft too) are still risky IMO.

No I’m not kidding, this isn’t some [censored] Fram vs Purolator post. I’m concerned it could come loose. It’s on the prefiltered side so I don’t guess it would be a huge deal but still. If it does absolutely nothing as you say why would it be there ?

Did you read what I said?

It is most likely only used to keep the media hugging the center tube during the process of building the filter so that the end caps can be glued on. It serves no purpose after the end caps are glued on.

What other purpose could that rope even serve?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Purolator tearing issue has been solved for at least a year if not almost two years now. Any brand new Motorcraft can be used without fear.

People here are still finding torn Purolators, and they are the "new" supposedly improved models. Also, there have been new issues with the newer Purolators like cut/torn ADBVs and louvers that are barely opened up. Purolators (and maybe Motorcraft too) are still risky IMO.

I haven't seen any, but I'm not saying you're wrong. I'll eat crow if need be. But I've seen multiple posts of the new Purolator filters after usage with zero media tears and zero adbv tears. I've also seen posts of Motorcrafts without issues or tears either.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I haven't seen any, but I'm not saying you're wrong. I'll eat crow if need be. But I've seen multiple posts of the new Purolator filters after usage with zero media tears and zero adbv tears. I've also seen posts of Motorcrafts without issues or tears either.

I'm not saying they all tear, that was never the case. The rate of instances reported here is less with the new Purolators, but maybe because many here don't use them anymore.

Maybe some members here can dig you up some of the threads showing media tears and also cut/torn ADBVs and closed louvers on the new Purolators.

You can also specifically search this site via Google with a search string like "bobistheoilguy site: purolator media tear"

I find it hard to believe a million/billion dollar company can’t come up with any other way to secure media to the center tube than a small piece of basically twine. EDIT to imply during the construction. I realize this isn’t THE securing method

My caterpillar oil filters are roughly 12” long, after 3000 long hours of service funny they don’t come out looking ragged like that. The filters are built to a price point. Probably an adequate one. But what the heck are we doing here anyways. It sure isn’t search of what’s adequate on BITOG.

We’ll see what the Donaldson looks like in 5k miles for the same price.

Last edited:
Where do you guys order the Donaldson filters? Online? I'm sure the filter did its job, but it looks pretty bad for low mileage usage. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm.... I'd be interested in knowing if a Cummins 5.9/6.7 filter would spin right on there. The specs are very similar.

Back