1978 Yanmar YM2000 (24hp tractor) Blackstone UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

I'd like to preface this UOA with a little background information.

I bought this little Yanmar from a consignment yard a year ago. It showed 200 hours on the working meter, but it is only 3 digit so it could have theoretically rolled over. I lean toward it only having 200 hours by overall condition and the way it runs. The tractor starts easy, zero visible blow-by from the vent tube, burns no oil and has good power.

The tractor was originally rebuilt by Fredrick's Equipment in Hartselle, AL. It supposedly got new rings, pistons, liners and bearings along with some seals and paint. Fredrick's rebuilds hundreds of these little tractors for resale and seems to have a good rep on the web.

I changed the oil when I bought it, and then again after 50 hours. I then changed it a third time (this sample) with 75 hours on the oil. The Yanmar manual from 1978 for this tractor specifies a 100 hour OCI with filter change every 200. The oil was just starting to darken up with 75 hours on it. Before that it stays honey colored.

I had a couple of questions about this report. I am new to BITOG so I am trying to get a handle on everything. I grew up with the 3k mile OCI so this site has really opened my eyes.

1. Is there any way to get an idea of the total hours on the machine from the UOA? As I said I lean toward it having only 200 hours (325 now), but don't know for sure.

2. Is the Iron a concern? I ask because of the Blackstone comments. My Iron was at 9ppm, but the Univ Avg Iron was at 8ppm with 425hrs on the oil. That sure seems like a long OCI for 2 cylinder Yanmars. Some of the other Yanmar UOAs (tractors) I've seen show 10-15ppm of Iron with around 100hrs on the oil. Granted, those were 3 cylinder engines and not 2 cylinder. The longest factory OCI recommendation I've seen for the John Deeres with Yanmars is 200 hours.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts or insights. This tractor is very useful to me and I hope to keep it for a long time. I plan to go with the Blackstone recommendation and run 125hrs on the next OCI.

Blackstone Report-

MAKE/MODEL: Yanmar 2-cyl
FUEL TYPE: Diesel

ADDITIONAL INFO: 1978, Engine rebuilt in 2006 (Rings/Pistons/Liners/Bearings)
OIL TYPE & GRADE: Shell Rotella T 15W/40
OIL USE INTERVAL: 75 Hours

Comments: Thanks for the notes. We haven't specifically tested the 2TR20A engine, but we've seen a fair
amount of 2 cylinder Yanmar engines, so those averages were used for comparison. Those averages are
based off about 425 hours on the oil. Your run was shorter, so it might've been nice to see iron reading
lower (since it tracks with time on the oil). On the other hand, iron at 9 ppm isn't an excessive amount of
metal either. The TBN is robust, showing lots of active additive left in the oil. Go ahead and run up to 125
hours before checking back. Nice report.

The Universal Averages are the 2nd number.

Alum 3 3
Chrom 2 0
Iron 9________8
Copp 2 1
Lead 0 1
Tin 0 1
Moly 0 79
Nick 0 0
Mang 0 0
Silv 0 0
Titan 0 0
Potas 8 1
Boron 92 284
Silic 8________6
Sodiu 4 7
Calc 2078 1750
Magn 10 321
Phos 957 1073
Zinc 1134 1297
Bariu 0 0

Value should be
SUS Visc @ 210 F 74.2 69-80
cSt Visc @ 100 C 14.04 12.7-15.8
Flashpoint in F 430 >410
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0 0
Water % 0 0
Insolubles % 0.1 TBN 8.5 >1.0
TAN Not done

Chris142,

Sorry, my post isn't clear. The tractor was rebuilt by Fredrick's Equipment in 2006. I bought it after the rebuild when it was showing 200 hours.

I can't edit the post now, but hopefully this will clear things up.

I have to wonder if they're comparing it to yanmar diesels used in semi refrigerator units, if so not really a fair comparison. I wouldn't worry a bit about the iron readings and it will take a few samples to build your own trends specific to your machine.

Low contamination, high TBN, low wear metals and viscosity on point. This oil can run much much much longer. I'd personally go at least 100-150 before even bothering to sample again. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see it go 200+ hours on an OCI.

FlyNavyP3,

I bet you are right about the Universal Averages coming from the Yanmar engines in reefer units. I had not thought of that, and I was wondering where Blackstone would get samples where the average time on the oil was 425 hours.

Thanks for the reply.

Flipside

Originally Posted By: Flipside1955

1. Is there any way to get an idea of the total hours on the machine from the UOA? As I said I lean toward it having only 200 hours (325 now), but don't know for sure.

2. Is the Iron a concern? I ask because of the Blackstone comments. My Iron was at 9ppm, but the Univ Avg Iron was at 8ppm with 425hrs on the oil. That sure seems like a long OCI for 2 cylinder Yanmars. Some of the other Yanmar UOAs (tractors) I've seen show 10-15ppm of Iron with around 100hrs on the oil. Granted, those were 3 cylinder engines and not 2 cylinder. The longest factory OCI recommendation I've seen for the John Deeres with Yanmars is 200 hours.

1 - no there is not.
2 - no it is not.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with the engine; it's perfectly fine. You're coming off a rebuild after only two OCIs so you've probably got some break-in still coming down a bit.

Thanks guys for all the replies. It is reassuring to know the old girl is in good shape. They really are neat little tractors. They are super simple and easy to work on. Also, that little 2 cylinder sounds AWESOME at idle, at least to me. My neighbor actually told me- "Somethings not right with your tractor, it doesn't sound right." I had to tell him it was that 2 cylinder Yammer Hammer he was hearing, and that it runs like a top and is supposed to sound that way.

dnewton3, thanks for the reply to Question 1. I have wondered about the possibility of this engine having 1300, 2300, etc., hours on it since it is only a 3 digit hour meter. Another thing that makes me think it is still pretty fresh is that I cut the filter open after my 2nd oil change and found a big sliver of red RTV type gasket sealer. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that RTV would still be there if the hour meter had rolled over and it had over 1000 hours. Not that it matters much. I'm fairly sure I will be wore out before the little Yanmar, and my boy will be operating it.

One other thing-I seriously doubt the previous owner changed the oil in the first 200 hours since it was rebuilt in '06. Before coming to this site I would have thought he was grossly negligent. Now I know he didn't hurt a thing. He just saved money by not wasting good oil like I have been doing.

Not to hijack this thread, but based on this UOA if I use Shell Rotella T5 semi-synthetic 10W-30 on a 22hp Kolher gasoline engine(series 7000), do you think I can do 100 hour OCI and still have enough TBN reserve left?

Kohler recommends 100 hours OCI. For me, 100 hrs is three mowing seasons which is way too long to do my UOA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back