Saving on your home a/c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This idea pops up like clockwork every so often. Back in the 70s, Rheem had a residential AC model with water spray built in from the factory.

Problem is that in so many areas of the country, if you do this your condensing coil will wind up being a solid block of lime scale within a few weeks and efficiency will go DOWN. Also... water bills aren't trivial.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
This idea pops up like clockwork every so often. Back in the 70s, Rheem had a residential AC model with water spray built in from the factory.

Problem is that in so many areas of the country, if you do this your condensing coil will wind up being a solid block of lime scale within a few weeks and efficiency will go DOWN. Also... water bills aren't trivial.

I guess with a well it ain't no big deal.

8.5 minutes just to tell us to spray water on the outside of the condenser?

I've done something like that on super hot days. It also helps to keep the head pressures down in the a/c unit. When watering plants on hot days, I'll sometimes spray water on the sunny side of the house.

I've also read articles where they are thinking of using water to cool roofs in Arizona, even though water the area is scarce.

Yes -
I let it happen every time it rains.

Seriously, how much does one spend in water to save on electricity?

Some folks just have to re-invent the wheel with something octagonal ... Just cuz ....

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yes -

Some folks just have to re-invent the wheel with something octagonal ... Just cuz ....

Guy claims a gallon a day which isn't much. Around here, 1000 gallons is $12 in water and sewer charges. So about $4 in water if you run it year round, but it's only hot around here for about 3-4 months so more like under $1 a year.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yes -

Guy claims a gallon a day which isn't much. Around here, 1000 gallons is $12 in water and sewer charges. So about $4 in water if you run it year round, but it's only hot around here for about 3-4 months so more like under $1 a year.
+1

Last edited:
I have a single, 5 ton, dual compressor, American Standard high efficiency unit.

If I spray water on the condenser, such as when I'm cleaning it, the house gets cold very rapidly. Also if it's raining out, it cools the house much more quickly.

Even so, my electric bills are very reasonable in mid summer. The high efficiency AC unit, coupled with an efficient house setup has paid for itself over the years. And the dual compressor unit does reduce the time each one runs. So the system lifespan is quite good. I don't track how long each compressor runs, but it seems about 50-50. With the 5 ton comp running more in the summer and the 2.5 ton running more off season.

It would be very informative if they could show actual electric consumption declining as the water is turned on. Some sort of meter attachment?
Also if they could show how a 12 seer unit becomes a 13 seer unit? As an example.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
It would be very informative if they could show actual electric consumption declining as the water is turned on. Some sort of meter attachment?
Also if they could show how a 12 seer unit becomes a 13 seer unit? As an example.

You can watch it happen with a clamp-on inductive ammeter. The compressor current drops pretty much as soon as you hit the coils with a spray of water. The effect is real... what I believe makes it a non-starter is the rapid accumulation of hard water scale, corrosion of the condensor coil, and the cost of feeding it water. So you spend a little less on electricity and wind up replacing your condensing unit 3x as often. Not a win.

Plus there's NO WAY that system only uses "about a gallon a day." Look at the water flow rate from just ONE of the 4 misters, its closer to a gallon an hour per mister. So I'm thinking more like 40-50 gallons per day or even more. And that tiny little filter is going to soften that much water to prevent scale? No way.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The system in the video comes with a filter.

I got curious and checked the web site. On the site it says the filter is good for three months.

Would a sun shade of some kind over the unit help at all?

Some, but make sure the shade does not impede airflow.
The previous owners of my house built a pergola over the A/C with some fence slats on the sides, full airflow, but shades the unit from morning to mid day (then the house shades it).

As for the misters, as said, if you have really soft water, it could be a helpful solution, so long as your water cost does not outweigh the electrical savings.
For the well water statement, you're still having to run the well pump more, so electrical use there, as well as wear and tear on the pump.
I have n occasion taken a hose and sprayed the condenser when it needs to catch up (lots of family over with door opening a lot and 100°F+ outside).

That's pretty interesting. I wonder if I could just pipe some drippers to my rain barrels with some kind of valve that kicks in when the AC is turned on.

Would a sun shade of some kind over the unit help at all?

Anything that lowers the temperature of the air drawn over the coils helps. So, it would depend upon whether the sun shade does that or not. My condenser unit is on the east side of the house and my neighbor's fence is 8' tall. It's pretty much shaded almost all day and does not get any afternoon sun. I have to think that helps.

This unit looks cheesy and I can see it getting stuck open, making a mud puddle. But seems like there might be an angle where the utility sends a signal to run a better designed system for a few hours a year only during the highest demand period. If you can shave enough of the peak, you can avoid building that last power plant. Very expensive to build a power plant that only runs a few hours a year. And the majority, but not all, power plants use copious amounts of cooling water, so the incremental water usage shouldn't be much.

I did this back in the 80's. I used softened water though and the residual salt ate up the aluminum fins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back