85 Merkur XR4Ti, 2.3T, M1 15w50, 900 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was performed after the break initial break in (100-200 miles) with conventional oil.

Comments from Blackstone:

Wear metals read pretty high in this sample compared to averages, but a good amount of this is just lingering wear-in, and that should wash out with time. Note that chrome is pretty high, and that's not a metal we always see reading high in wear-in situations. It shows ring wear, though if it improves going forward, it should be all right. Silicon is from sealers, and it should improve too. Aluminum and iron show piston and steel wear, while copper is from brass/bronze and lead is from bearings. If the engine runs well, just check back next oil for progress.

First Oil Analysis(about 1000 miles on the engine, 800-900 miles in the oil):

Sample Date 7/27/2017
Make Up Oil 0 qts
ALUMINUM 7
CHROMIUM 9
IRON 25
COPPER 46
LEAD 12
TIN 4
MOLYBDENUM 69
NICKEL 2
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 4
BORON 110
SILICON 34
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 1226
MAGNESIUM 549
PHOSPHORUS 860
ZINC 1032
BARIUM 0
Values Should Be*
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 78.7 75-90
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 15.19 14.3-18.2
Flashpoint in °F 430 >380
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 0.0
Insolubles % 0.1 <0.6

I had one of those cars. Really bad. Good luck with yours. Mine was possessed. Only had it for a month.

Plenty of information about them online. The oil is the least of your worries.

I had one too! Turbo 2.3L correct? I had a problem getting the seats comfortable.

Nice handler with RWD,

what with the 50 grade pseudosynthetic?

Is this boosted?

Id break in with a 20w40 Marine oil.

Yes, turbo 2.3. The seats are terrible to get a comfortable spot.

Builder rebuilt the motor with loose tolerances, so with the 50 grade, i am getting about 23ish psi oil pressure at idle.

27psi with a big turbo, forged internals, should hopefully last.

Only way to know on a rebuilt engine is to run consecutive changes at say 2,500 miles each and watch the trends. If it all comes into line by the third change, you're OK.

Install magnetic drain plug. Check it for excessive "Hair" (Fe metal shavings) and irregular hard cornered bit (broken off something).

Magnet glued on the outside of the oil filter will help too. Cut open filter and look at wall with magnet location for unusual metal bits ...

Recaro seats out of VW Sirocco Special Edition should fix the comfort issue and look age appropriate
smile.gif

I didn't notice anything bad about the seats but then, I didn't get to drive it that much before the evil forces took hold and I had to get rid of it before it killed me.

The headliner will fall down.
It's too hot under the hood and it cooks the battery. There are tutorials to move the battery to the trunk. I never got around to doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back