Haul Bikes dba Daily Direct LLC, Milwaukee WI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subj line is the delivery co that will be transporting my new motorcycle from Las Vegas. Google reviews appear mixed? They called yesterday and can't deliver to my doorstep because I live on a cul de sac and they use 80' semi trucks. My house is 400 feet from main road, but still a no go. They wanted a parking lot (paved), dealership, or "we can meet you on the side of a highway." Okay then!! New bike delivery pulled over on side of a highway w/ traffic whizzing past doesn't sound shady or anything.

And the best part: they put it at three weeks or more out. That will make it a full month since closing the deal last week.

Screwed up. I should have done a fly and buy.

Considering how cheap the fares are going to sin city you would have saved $$ if your butt could handle the drive. Have a close truck stop or rest area? I have done many pickups that way. Good luck on the new ride.

Have the truck meet you at the nearest truckstop. That way you're out of traffic and it makes it easier for the driver. Have him give you a call when he's getting close.

Doesn't sound shady at all. I think that they are waiting for other orders to come through, hence the delay. Just trying to maximize profits as I am sure they can stuff a lot of motorcycles inside a dry van. Being a truck driver in the past for my dad, I wouldn't drive down a residential street either, no place to turn around and risky at best trying to back out on the main street.

As Silverado12 suggested, I would meet at a truck stop. I meet the UPS Freight drivers at businesses because they always forget to call in advance and I miss meeting them at my house. When they do call to ask where I'm at, I just ask where is their next stop and meet them there.

Roadside delivery pulled over on the shoulder of the highway with traffic whizzing by is what I said sounded shady, not the delay. I'm not good with the delay, at all, but I didn't say the one month delay from deal to delivery was shady.

Bioburner you are correct, but didn't want first ride some five months since my accident to be a 1500 mile cross-country. Smaller local jaunts to get accustomed to the bike a much better idea. Also with regard to break-in.

I shipped a garden tractor to Texas a few years ago and used an independent trucker who had a business delivering almost anything he could fit in his trailer. He delivered a lot of motorcycles. It took him a week to pick it up and two weeks to deliver it. His trailer had a lift gate and about two dozen deliveries on it but he only charged $300 from NC to Tx. Slow but cheap.

I sold a bike to someone in another state and they used uShip to transport it to their home. The experience was similar to yours.

1. It took a while for the buyer to get a good rate since he had to find someone coming by my area who had the equipment to haul bikes. I think it was 2 weeks from date of sale to pick up.
2. The shipper had a long trailer and couldn't drive into my culdesac, so I just had him park near the entrance of the neighborhood and I rode the bike 2 blocks and met him there.
3. His trailer was hauling a weird mix of things. An old sea-doo, another bike, some furniture, yada yada.

Failing a truck stop nearby most any large shopping center parking lot ( wal mart, Kroger, etc ) should work for them. That’s what I have done with intercity lines in the past:

There is a Love's as well as another truck stop near an interstate interchange not too far away. Probably use that, as pointed out above it will also afford the driver chance to use the facilities and get something to eat, as well as me the opportunity to put fuel in the bike. It's a win-win !!

Still not crazy about the time frame but guess that's pretty common across all carriers.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Subj line is the delivery co that will be transporting my new motorcycle from Las Vegas. Google reviews appear mixed? They called yesterday and can't deliver to my doorstep because I live on a cul de sac and they use 80' semi trucks. My house is 400 feet from main road, but still a no go. They wanted a parking lot (paved), dealership, or "we can meet you on the side of a highway." Okay then!! New bike delivery pulled over on side of a highway w/ traffic whizzing past doesn't sound shady or anything.

And the best part: they put it at three weeks or more out. That will make it a full month since closing the deal last week.

Screwed up. I should have done a fly and buy.

Honestly, this is how it typically works for transporting cars, too. What do you expect them to do? They have no way to get a semi like that down your culdesac and they certainly won't take it down narrow side streets. Try to stand in their shoes for a minute.

You really don't want to meet them in a parking lot? What's the big deal here?

I know you've been rehabbing from your last accident, but if you are capable, I'd fly out and rent a small Ryder/Penske/ etc. vehicle, and bring it home yourself.

I know if I were able to ride, but couldn't ride for a month due to shipping constraints, I'd find a quicker method of bringing the bike home.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Honestly, this is how it typically works for transporting cars, too. What do you expect them to do? They have no way to get a semi like that down your culdesac and they certainly won't take it down narrow side streets. Try to stand in their shoes for a minute.

You really don't want to meet them in a parking lot? What's the big deal here?

What? Did you not see this post from me right above yours:

Originally Posted By: loneranger
There is a Love's as well as another truck stop near an interstate interchange not too far away. Probably use that, as pointed out above it will also afford the driver chance to use the facilities and get something to eat, as well as me the opportunity to put fuel in the bike. It's a win-win !!

Still not crazy about the time frame but guess that's pretty common across all carriers.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I know you've been rehabbing from your last accident, but if you are capable, I'd fly out and rent a small Ryder/Penske/ etc. vehicle, and bring it home yourself.

I know if I were able to ride, but couldn't ride for a month due to shipping constraints, I'd find a quicker method of bringing the bike home.

Good luck.

True, but on the upside the extra three weeks gives me three extra weeks of gym time before climbing back aboard too. Today on my lunch break workout I put up 50 lb dumbell each hand for seated military presses, set #4 of 4. Only 20 lbs below where I was before the wreck and not bad for five months out from grade 2 shoulder separation with the broken humerous bone between elbow and shoulder. Whatever impact broke the bone obviously jacked the shoulder hard enough to cause the separation. No memory of it though. The upright riding position of the Stelvio calls for strength and range of motion with the arms in front lateral posit. Been hitting the upright seated bench press Cybex machine, as it tends to replicate the upright riding position. Able to press 150lbs for the fourth (last) set, down 60 lbs from what it was prior to accident. Arm pull-back is important as well, been hitting a plate loaded Cybex upright seated Lat Pull machine for that. Doing 110lb in plates per arm 4th (last) set.

I'm sure it will work out. Fwiw I've tried every option for transporting bikes. Even did a couple trikes. It's always a little unnerving but the delivery makes it all worth while

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back