PYB good for 7000 highway miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for opinions. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion I use to make weekly long highway runs (500 mi roundtrips). My last run I went the by the OLM and changed at 22% remaining and about 7000 miles. By far the longest I've ever gone on an conventional. Is PYB 5-20 good for that? Car has 100K and runs perfect. The car had a steady diet of Motorcraft syn blend before I got it and is in perfect condition. I might send in for an UOA, but for the $25 it costs I'll just change the oil, so I'm looking for gut reactions. Car has very little city and no traffic/stop and go driving. Just 80mph interstate.

My 2010 Fusion has over 236,000 miles, and I regularly run 7,500 miles, or more, on oils that are on par with PYB. I wouldn't even think twice about running well over 7,000 miles on it. PYB is a very stout oil, and by many accounts, contains a good percentage of synthetic oil.

PYB is a good choice as far as conventional oil. Lots of used oil tests show it is good for longer oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I wouldn't even think twice about running well over 7,000 miles on it. PYB is a very stout oil,

And you shouldn't, either.

Run it all the way to 0% ... you won't be hurting ANYTHING. It's all good.

I think you are fine running PYB for 7K. You don't say if you have the 4 or 6 cylinder engine but the 2.5 in my Escape (4 cyl.) has a 5.7 qt. oil capacity...that's a lot of oil which should make 7K easily doable,

PS: I seriously doubt you'll get any varnish with so much highway miles.

I just saw that you have a 3.0 (6 cyl.) from your signature. Except for my comments on the 2.5, everything else I've said applies....your 3.0 will run nearly forever with your type driving and changing PYB at 22% OLM....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GOPHER FREAK
Looking for opinions. I have a 2011 Ford Fusion I use to make weekly long highway runs (500 mi roundtrips). My last run I went the by the OLM and changed at 22% remaining and about 7000 miles. By far the longest I've ever gone on an conventional. Is PYB 5-20 good for that? Car has 100K and runs perfect. The car had a steady diet of Motorcraft syn blend before I got it and is in perfect condition. I might send in for an UOA, but for the $25 it costs I'll just change the oil, so I'm looking for gut reactions. Car has very little city and no traffic/stop and go driving. Just 80mph interstate.

I've run PYB to 7500 miles. It was actually the first change after I bought the car from the rental fleet or where ever it came from. When I drained the PYB I got some bits of sludge out too. It'll be fine.

I ran 5w20 PYB at 8k intervals on 2 liter and 3 oci's on a Ultra filter
No add oil, no varnish and no issue. I followed up with PUP and no cleanup happened.
So that is no issue.

I would say that you may be paying too much for PYB and if so you can go with a FS. for cheaper with wise shopping.
Just a thought.

I been using PYB in the DD since around 55k, has 132k now. Went to PYB back then and seems a lot of good UOAs so I figured why not try it. Seems robust. Although my Hyundai book recommends Quaker State and the fill cap has 5w-20, I've had no issues with PYB 5w-30. I do 5k OCIs (easy to remember) although by the book I can go up to 7.5k and the book does not state synthetic. 4-cylinder 5-qts 95%+ highway.

On & off I've had the itch to try something else (MaxLife, maybe MagnaTec, try Pennzoil synthetic), but just haven't been able to pull myself away from the PYB... yet. Maybe someday (have a couple jugs left). Maybe I should stay with PYB and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
PYB meets the Ford spec, so you could safely follow the iOLM as you would with Motorcraft.

+1

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Depends on whether you want varnish or not. At 7000 miles, you're going to get varnish.

Maybe, maybe not. Only with a UOA could we be sure. A UOA would also answer all the other questions about the oil's condition and how far it can go.

Depends on whether you want varnish or not. At 7000 miles, you're going to get varnish.

Oh, Merk, why? Is it Waxy?
Does more the 3,000 miles not sit well with you?

You do know that both PYB and his brother from Quaker State have already some oil analyses here on this site already posted, don't you?

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Maybe, maybe not. Only with a UOA could we be sure. A UOA would also answer all the other questions about the oil's condition and how far it can go.

No, it would not .....
Quote:
Car has very little city and no traffic/stop and go driving. Just 80mph interstate.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: Kuato

No, it would not .....
Quote:
Car has very little city and no traffic/stop and go driving. Just 80mph interstate.

Exactly. With over 90% highway/interstate driving, OP could go until the iOLM hits 0%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back