Alternative to Fram PH8170 filter for a Briggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a $2,000 John Deere mower with a 20HP B&S twin and I can purchase the correct factory B&S filter for $8 to $9. People want to save $4 by using a filter not recommended. Make me wonder about common sense here. Ed

I use the Napa Gold 1348 filter for my Kohler engine application, have since factory filter came off. I get them for
Likely next time though might just use the noted and readily available Super Tech 3614 next time,
The topic Fram PH8170, is a 'made for' Fram filter (in India) with metal endcaps and coil compression spring. Looks ok but not for the ~$10+ I'm seeing online.

'IME', no reason to pay more for an OPE application than the readily available automotive application. In this case the slightly longer 3614 and equivalent applications should work fine on the Briggs.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
But the 3600 is the same price as the 3614, in fact, it may be cheaper,.

Only problem is clearance...

The 3600 is monstrous on an engine that doesn't even pump 1 GPM.

The Briggs engines don't need big filters - the oil pump is tiny tiny tiny.

3614 is very cheap and extremely easy to get anywhere.

For the past two seasons I've been using the Wix 51348 for a similar application, John Deere D 140 lawn tractor with 22 HP Briggs V-Twin. That cross references to the Fram PH3614, which a lot of people have recommended here. Either of these choices will be easier to find, have no clearance issues, and will add about 4 cubic inches to your oil capacity.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: tig1
I use the MC FL910S on my Briggs 21HP riding mower.

+1 mine is on a zero turn with the 21HP Briggs single cylinder

+2 on both my B&S 19.5 single and 24 twin

Originally Posted By: tnt31
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Originally Posted By: tig1
I use the MC FL910S on my Briggs 21HP riding mower.

+1 mine is on a zero turn with the 21HP Briggs single cylinder

+2 on both my B&S 19.5 single and 24 twin

+3 use it on a vanguard twin, 20hp intek twin and a Kaw 24hp twin. So yes it is a plus 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back