2006 Toyota Corolla, improved piston ring design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Looking at the possibility of buying a 2006 Corolla to replace the versa.

The corolla has higher mileage and has the 1.8 liter engine.

Was the piston ring design improved after 2002?

The car is clean with no rust. Runs smooth.

I'm still thinking of keeping the versa....but I'm not sure how reliable it's going to be in the long run.

Thanks.

Ryan

One word of caution on the 5 speed, I've heard they can be problematic. I've also seen them with mega high mileage! I would change the fluid if you do nab it!

Oil consumption issues from the 8th gen Corolla/Prizm were greatly reduced by the engine re-design for the 9th gen, starting in 2003. My '05 Corolla LE has burned maybe an ounce or two in just under six months and 5,000 miles. (Went from the tiniest bit past Full on the stick to precisely at Full.)

Never say never with an 11-12 year-old car, but oil consumption should not be an issue in whether or not to buy an '06 Corolla. Enjoy.

Toyota seems to take twice to learn each lesson. My oil thirsty 2008 Scion XB loves to drink oil, guess why?.... Oil return holes are too small in the piston and they coke up. Conveniently for Toyota if it drinks 1 quart approximately every thousand miles that's completely OK. Apparently pre-detonation due to carbon deposits in the combustion chamber is also completely acceptable and pleasurable motoring according to Toyota.

Boy I bet they regret the fact that I can drain and refill my own ATF are using the dipstick they so foolishly left in the design of the transmission. I see they took care of that for the newer cars.

Actually it's a great little car otherwise it's a 2.4 L. It even has his rear wheel sensors that are made so that salt and slush gets inside them and corrodes them. And then if you replace them it happens again about every two years. It appears that their all weather testing scenarios could use some re-design.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

I'm still thinking of keeping the versa....but I'm not sure how reliable it's going to be in the long run.

Unsure it will remain VERSA-tile?! Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity for a little dad humor...

Haha thanks sf0059. I like it!

Thanks a ton guys. So hard to buy a car these days.

You guys are lifesavers. Much appreciation as always.

Now I have to start answering a few instead of doing all the asking. Lol

Ryan

Haha thanks sf0059. I like it!

Thanks a ton guys. So hard to buy a car these days.

You guys are lifesavers. Much appreciation as always.

Now I have to start answering a few instead of doing all the asking. Lol

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back