Homeowner chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at buying a good small 16" homeowner grade chainsaw. Looking at the stihl MS170 and Husqvarna 240. Both cost about $200. Suggestions? It will be used for trimming of limbs and trees around the yard.

I just went through the process and purchased an Echo. I purchased it at Home Depot on Sunday because that's the end of the week and you can apply for an HD credit card and get $75 off the purchase. Just make sure you hook up with an older cashier that is authorized to make the deal.

20 years ago I bought a Poulan wild thing for $120 with case and 2 chains. In 10 years, I wore out 4 chains, needed a new clutch hub and bar. Got 20 bucks for it at a garage sale.

Bought another wild thing with case for 139.00. Still running. No repairs on either one ever, not even a spark plug.

You think your Stihl, husky or Echo will run 20 years with NO repair, not even a spark plug?

When this one dies, I am getting another one. By far the cheapest.

I was cutting up a tree. My neighbor wanted to show me how much better Stihl was so we raced cutting similar size limbs. He never cut thru his limb more than 1 second before me. Many were almost a dead heat. He even admitted his Farm Boss was not that much better.

Save the money.

Flame suit on.

Rod

I started cutting wood professionally 30 years ago.

I have always used Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita/Dolamr, or Echo.

I'm getting old... My joints hurt more & more. I need lightweight more than power.

My number one "go to" chainsaw right now is a Ryobi 37cc I got on ebay for $37.
I'm very happy with it.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Looking at buying a good small 16" homeowner grade chainsaw. Looking at the stihl MS170 and Husqvarna 240. Both cost about $200. Suggestions? It will be used for trimming of limbs and trees around the yard.

Get the Stihl. I too looked at the Husqvarna 240 but eventually went with a Husqvarna 445. I read the Husqvarna 240 wasn't made by Husqvarna and was really a rebranded Poulan. If so, skip the Husqvarna 240 and just get a Poulan 3816 and save yourself some money.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-model-husqvarnas-are-made-by-poulan.153243/

Last edited:
I like Husqvarna and have a few, but I am not crazy about their entry level saws. I actually prefer their older saws, I don't like the new stratos port saws or primer bulbs. Stihl, Echo, Jonesered, Makita/Dolmar, Tanaka, or Husqvarna I really don't think any one is leaps and bounds better than the others.

I bought a $99 Hitachi off of Ebay to play with, it is a rebadged Tanaka. I use for little stuff around the yard, it is quiet so I don't worry about bothering the neighbors with it. It is only 32cc and is underpowered compared to my old Husqvarna 36 that I have done a muffler mod on, but it gets the job done. It is actually the only saw that I have bought brand new.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Consider cordless also for a chainsaw.

Great option for around the property use.

Would be my first choice for any OP equipment really if I was looking to buy.

Edit: and a Oregon Powersharp too, I have one on my small Stihl and its great for occasional use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I started cutting wood professionally 30 years ago.

I have always used Stihl, Husqvarna, Makita/Dolamr, or Echo.

I'm getting old... My joints hurt more & more. I need lightweight more than power.

My number one "go to" chainsaw right now is a Ryobi 37cc I got on ebay for $37.
I'm very happy with it.
+1 I have 21 acres here and the thunder storms are always bringing something down around here. Dad, next store got a little Ryobi 14 inch saw off E-bay a few months back. I used it a few times and was impressed enough i bought one (14 inch Ryobi) at tractor antique show for 40 bucks last month and must say im very happy.

We had a Homelite back in the late 90s. Super strong and started on the first pull every time. It got stolen and was replaced with a Poulan which was a piece of junk. It would never start.

plenty of good models out there.

I voted echo with my wallet this year.

They go 20% off on sale.

if you are doing mostly trimming maybe a cordless saw

The greenworks 40v was around $115 the other day.(with battery and charger)

I would recommend the Stihl. I use a Stihl MS180C for light around the house jobs and have been very happy with it.

Husqvarna quit making their own entry level chain saws about 15 years ago. A Husky isn't a Husky until you go beyond the Rancher series. The less expensive Husky models are the very same as a Ryobi, Craftsman, Poulan, Homelite, or any of the other American Yard Products saws.

I would go Stihl or Echo for a smaller saw. I have a Stihl 180c I used for small jobs, and it is lightweight, and decent power for the size.
As others said, the smaller Huskies are re-badged Poulans and nothing to write home about.

Skip the Husky 240, it's an overgrown (heavy) Poulan.

Get a 435 or better yet, a 440. They are the latest Strato engine technology, run at high RPM, are light and really rip. The only difference between the two powerheads is the compression ratio is higher on the 440, taking it from the 435's 2.2HP to 2.4HP.

I have a 435 with a 16" bar on it. I'd like to get a 440 and take off the silly 20" bar and put the 16" on it. But I'm getting along fine with the 435. A week ago I dropped a 50' Poplar, 14" trunk and had it limbed and bucked in one afternoon. The main limitation was me taking breaks for heat. I had to change the chain once, but the old chain had dropped, limbed and bucked a larger oak since the last sharpening.

If you really want your chainsaws to perform, learn to hand sharpen with a round and flat file. Then you'll really make noodles, instead of sawdust. It takes me about 15 minutes to sharpen a 16" chain, soup to nuts, taking my time.

Originally Posted By: ragtoplvr
20 years ago I bought a Poulan wild thing for $120 with case and 2 chains. In 10 years, I wore out 4 chains, needed a new clutch hub and bar. Got 20 bucks for it at a garage sale.

Bought another wild thing with case for 139.00. Still running. No repairs on either one ever, not even a spark plug.

You think your Stihl, husky or Echo will run 20 years with NO repair, not even a spark plug?

When this one dies, I am getting another one. By far the cheapest.

I was cutting up a tree. My neighbor wanted to show me how much better Stihl was so we raced cutting similar size limbs. He never cut thru his limb more than 1 second before me. Many were almost a dead heat. He even admitted his Farm Boss was not that much better.

Save the money.

Flame suit on.

Rod

My Wood Shark is 13 years old and refuses to die. I've worn out 3 bars and I don't even know how many chains. It's been used and abused far beyond anything it was designed for but it just keeps going. Other than bars and chains, I've never done anything at all to it other than put gas and oil in it. Still has the original spark plug. Still runs every bit as good now as it did when it was brand new.

That being said, I've looked at the new ones and they're just not the same. I don't think they're made nearly as well as they used to be.

I've had a Stihl MS171 for about 4 yrs and it's great.
Great size and tackles more than I expected it to.

I have to agree as well with the Poulan lovers about cheap good homeowner saws.
Although it's important you buy the cheaper green Poulan than the yellow Poulan Pro which are terriable. The new 50 cc ones aren't bad but beware of the Poulan Pro 38-42 cc ones.
I abused my Poulan for 12 years and it still runs like a top after putting new gas lines in it. I can't kill it.

You cannot beat a Husky saw (or a Johnsred, same basic thing), also there's Stihl, but for your application I would look at saws designed for occasional use, like, say, a Poulan. You don't need a saw made for 14hours/7day use, you will be paying for reliability you won't need, maybe at the expense of engine size. Unless of course that floats your boat.

Assuming you can heft it safely, there is no replacement for displacement, as the adage goes. Bigger motor / smaller bar makes a do-anything saw. I like a 45cc class saw with a 14" bar, will cut through anything a 50+cc /16" bar will. The same thinking works for smaller motors and bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back