2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently test drove a 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring as I look to downsize out of a Minivan. I had a 2006 Mazda 6 V6 a while back and that was a fantastic car, naturally that was first on my list. Exterior styling was spot on, aggressive, sports and almost sinister looking in black with gunmetal gray wheels...very sharp car. Once inside the vehicle, unfortunately my opinion changed dramatically. Im 5'11", the drivers seat seemed like the cushion was a few inches short and was lacking thigh support, the door arm rest was too far forward, if one is over 5'6", you miss the armrest altogether which made the driving experience less than ideal. Also, the unusual heads up display is a tinted glass that flips up on top of the instrument panel, was very distracting having that in view, and the display isn't adjustable so if you want to actually use it, you have to adjust the seat to what I found to be an uncomfortable position. I was also disappointed with the performance, this car is crying out for a turbo or a V6, it doesn't have the straight line performance to match its looks. Some pros: This car handles like a go-kart, no body roll and it really loves the curves, this combined with a perfectly weighted steering feel made for a fun drive. I also found the lane keep assist function to be amongst the best out there. I prefer the system Honda uses, but the Mazda system is well engineered and worked as intended. I was also amazed at the headroom, for a low slung design, it had ample headroom, trunk size was also great for its class.

I don't have any problems with the seat comfort. I do wish it had a bit more power. I can't comment on the heads up display or the lane assist as my touring doesn't have those features. My biggest problem is the laggy throttle response. Makes heel and toe and rev matching difficult. I won't complain about my 38 mpg on my trip to Houston though.

I am 5'10" and I don't have any issues with the interior. Oddly enough, I was impressed with the length of the lower seat cushion and thought the bolstering was good. Certainly better on both points than my old Mazda 3 and definitely as good as my Audi A6. I also have the Touring like @E150GT, so no heads up display. I can't speak to that, but I will say I don't really have any interest in it.

I will also second the lack of throttle response and low end torque as a complaint. I have become used to dropping a gear further than I would normally to keep the revs in the sweet spot. EVENTUALLY I'm going to have Orange Virus create a tune for it that should bring power closer to the 210-220 hp range with a few mods and premium fuel... I think that will be about perfect.

Despite a few little complaints... really just being picky... it is perhaps my favorite daily driver I have ever owned. It has met and exceeded my expectations in pretty much every area. However, I won't fault someone who looks elsewhere. We all have different priorities.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
Recently test drove a 2017 Mazda 6 Grand Touring as I look to downsize out of a Minivan. I had a 2006 Mazda 6 V6 a while back and that was a fantastic car, naturally that was first on my list. Exterior styling was spot on, aggressive, sports and almost sinister looking in black with gunmetal gray wheels...very sharp car. Once inside the vehicle, unfortunately my opinion changed dramatically. Im 5'11", the drivers seat seemed like the cushion was a few inches short and was lacking thigh support, the door arm rest was too far forward, if one is over 5'6", you miss the armrest altogether which made the driving experience less than ideal. Also, the unusual heads up display is a tinted glass that flips up on top of the instrument panel, was very distracting having that in view, and the display isn't adjustable so if you want to actually use it, you have to adjust the seat to what I found to be an uncomfortable position. I was also disappointed with the performance, this car is crying out for a turbo or a V6, it doesn't have the straight line performance to match its looks. Some pros: This car handles like a go-kart, no body roll and it really loves the curves, this combined with a perfectly weighted steering feel made for a fun drive. I also found the lane keep assist function to be amongst the best out there. I prefer the system Honda uses, but the Mazda system is well engineered and worked as intended. I was also amazed at the headroom, for a low slung design, it had ample headroom, trunk size was also great for its class.

Having bought one a month ago I feel I need to respond.

Adjust your seat. There are some buttons on the left side of the seat...play with them until you feel nice.

I'm 6'2" and find the driving position better than my '14 Accord Sport. The armrest extends from behind me to the front dash, I'm not sure what you mean by "too far forward"

The HUD is adjustable for height so your shortness isn't an issue, you just need to know where to find it.

This car isn't about straight line performance. Buy a Mustang GT and slaughter bystanders at Cars and Coffee at your will if that's what you want.

Mazda engineered the steering to be like a RWD car so the steering feel is excellent. How many FWD cars run 6 degrees of caster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back