Oil for 2003 VW Rialta/Eurovan V6 24V high miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this oil talk is confusing to me. I want to find the best synthetic to use in my 2003 VW Rialta/Eurovan with 148K miles on it. I'm leaning towards 5w30 or 5w40 as those are the two VW recommended, but several folks say they use 10w40. Which brand of synthetic should I be considering for my VW engine? Thanks! I tried to search the form several times, but the dates searched thing was a mystery to me and I never got any results. If someone could explain how to use the search dates, I'd appreciate it.

Castrol Edge 0W40, Mobil 1 0W40, or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40. All are available at WalMart in 5 quart jugs for $22-$26, and all are rated for ACEA A3/B4 and VW 502/505 specs.

Originally Posted By: HalfmoonGH
All this oil talk is confusing to me. I want to find the best synthetic to use in my 2003 VW Rialta/Eurovan with 148K miles on it. I'm leaning towards 5w30 or 5w40 as those are the two VW recommended, but several folks say they use 10w40. Which brand of synthetic should I be considering for my VW engine?
What drtyler above said. Any 0w40 you see on the shelf at Walmart (or Amazon) will work great. A Fram CH9461 oil filter is a good choice. Avoid Purolator oil filters (very bad reputation). Order a bottle of Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver (amazon or napa) and use it at half-dose to keep the old seals flexible and avoid leaks.

Thanks! I tried to search the form several times, but the dates searched thing was a mystery to me and I never got any results. If someone could explain how to use the search dates, I'd appreciate it.
Go to google to search this forum. At google.com, type in, for example the words: Castrol Edge 0w40 HTHS site:bobistheoilguy.com
Next step: on the google.com page, select "Tools" and then select "past month" for example.

Last edited:
If you ever want to know what oil is recommended for your vehicle, and the Owner's Manual is out-of-date, you can always go to mobiloil.com, then select "Find the right oil", then put in the make, year, model, engine in and your recommendations show up.
Pennzoil and Castrol websites also make a recommendation like that.

If you just acquired the vehicle and it has an automatic transmission, look into getting a decent transmission cooler installed. Heat stress kills.

As far as oil goes, any XW40 euro-spec oil will be fine, and if you want to go with a euro-spec 5W30/0W30 in the winter that's fine too, but is not a requirement.

I just did an AXK VR6 whose #1 piston rod bearing pulverized. Cheap/bad oil + towing + poor maintenance. Fun times.

All this oil talk is confusing to me. I want to find the best synthetic to use in my 2003 VW Rialta/Eurovan with 148K miles on it. I'm leaning towards 5w30 or 5w40 as those are the two VW recommended, but several folks say they use 10w40. Which brand of synthetic should I be considering for my VW engine? Thanks! I tried to search the form several times, but the dates searched thing was a mystery to me and I never got any results. If someone could explain how to use the search dates, I'd appreciate it.

Go to Wal Mart get Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40 FS.
My preference is Castrol 0W40.
Forget regular (ILSAC GF-5) 5W30 oils.
However, bottom line is that you can use ANY oil that meets VW 502.00 specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back