No One Makes Colored Jackets in Tall Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched in vain every time I find a riding jacket I like, in red or with the right amount of red in it, it is not available in tall sizes. They will offer tall sizes only in black or maybe gray. Just about every single brand is this way. I don't want another frickin' black jacket or silver or gray this time around, I want a red one. Talking textile here, not leather. I get that leather is more difficult to manufacture in colors.

I wear a 38" sleeve in shirts.

Maybe you can find the manufacturer and get something made custom.

Also, try looking at European sources. I found a woven, polypropalene motorcycle riding jacket (as well as a full-body snow suit) which fit me perfectly and I'm a T like you. The jacket was in Germany and the snow-suit was in Switzerland. That's like saying Illinois and Missouri once you're over there.

It's not the retailers it's the makers. I've scoured about every known brand and they all seem to restrict their tall sizes to black, white, gray, or silver. Oh well. I'll just have to wear winter time cuffed gloves year round to cover my exposed wrists.

As I mentioned before, Aerostich might be worth looking into. They can make a jacket custom tailored to you.

Lots of options, I'd suggest giving them a call.

I generally wear roadracing leathers. But for long trips where I'm likely to encounter rain, I wear a one-piece Roadcrafter custom-tailored to me.

They don't appear to offer normal red as a color. Something plum looking called oxblood, or orange.

You can call them and they'll send a you color samples in the actual fabric used. FWIW, I've seen the Oxblood, and it looks like a slightly darker red.

I might. How is that jacket for hot weather riding, though? Looks like full-on winter gear.

I don't have that specific jacket, so I can't say definitively. I have a one-piece R3 suit. It is unlined, so it's not too bad in hot weather. Here's the thing: On a Motorcycle in hot weather, you are going to be hot.

I've ridden with all sorts of gear over the years, including in a T-shirt just to see if it was any more tolerable. The T-shirt (besides offering no protection) was the worst, because your exposed skin sunburns, in addition to dehydrating you more quickly.

I've had mesh jackets and pants, and if they are quality pieces, they are still probably best for riding comfort in extremely hot weather. The downside is that they offer less protection from roadrash in particular.

Next would be textiles like Aerostich stuff. I've never crashed in mine, but I've seen the effects of crashing, and how well the material holds up. Like everything, it's a compromise. Better than mesh, not as good as quality roadracing style leathers for protection.

The hottest I've ever been on a bike, was riding in the desert southwest in non-perforated full roadracing leathers. The big thermometer in Baker said 117°F. I thought I was going to die. I found a garden hose and literally soaked all of my riding gear, including my helmet. The short-lived cooling effect allowed me to get to Vegas, without dying of heatstroke.

Agreed... when will we all wise up and just drive cars instead, LoL. But we can't. Because riding worked it's way into our DNA at some prior point in life and we just can't not do it.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
What's your height and weight ?

6'3" 220 lbs
35x34 size in Levi's
46L sport coat
38" sleeve dress shirt

Sleeve length is the main problem for me with riding jackets. Don't need the extra torso length of tall sizes but need the sleeves.

I looked last night and your are correct. You might find something in a tall but if you refuse the extra torso length, I'd say zero chance. Let us know if you find something. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back