Fords Need Tweaked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had three new Fords since late 2011
One thing I noticed from all three is if you ride alone and you look over
at the passenger seat it rattles and shakes constantly. The cup holders when used get very noisy.
Even the cheapest Mitsubishi doesn't do that. No stones in the tires either- new tires as well. This starts from Mile 1.
Ford apparently isn't doing a very good job of isolating the vehicle chassis and occupants from the road.
And I'm talking about good smooth roads.

I could see a bit of this in a big F350 like I had with 80 psi in the tires but on the small cars I think
Ford needs to go back to the drawing board. Anybody else notice this?

Nope, owned several from Cobras up to F150's and now my F350 SRW DSL, all ride very well IMO. The F350 is a bit rough on these country roads but its a 1 ton with mud tires... I didn't expect it to.

I have a 2014 Ford and a 2016 Ford...I don't notice it.

PS: Neither of my Ford's have ever been back to the dealer...they are EXCELLENT cars...

My 2016 needs some interior work- bad fitting in places. None have had mechanical issues.
That said this isn't my imagination- they all did it. Next time you ride with an empty passenger seat on a good road look over
and maybe set a bag with groceries or something on the seat and watch what happens. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have a 2014 Ford and a 2016 Ford...I don't notice it.

PS: Neither of my Ford's have ever been back to the dealer...they are EXCELLENT cars...

Every Ford truck I have ever owned has done this--1991, 1999, 2010, 2015. Not sure why, different generations, different tire/wheel/shock/payload combinations, it has not mattered. Not a big deal, but should not happen, and I would guess all Ford trucks do this to some degree, mine cannot be unique in this regard (empty passenger seat shaking)...

Nope, and I have driven just about every Ford and just about every mass-market car. Ford vehicles do have some trim concerns, but definitely not worse than other domestics.

come ride in my '95. You wont notice yours anymore. All kidding aside that kind of stuff drives me nuts. Right now at 39k the mazda has a passenger door rattle and an intermittently noisy blower motor. Add to what I think might be an exhaust leak and a timing chain noise, I am disappointed in my car but I still love it.

Agreed- My 2015 f350 did it from mile one. So did the 2011 Diesel
As you said no big deal but if you carry something home it can get noisy on the seat and the road can be as smooth as silk.
And my experiences are like yours-from new. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Every Ford truck I have ever owned has done this--1991, 1999, 2010, 2015. Not sure why, different generations, different tire/wheel/shock/payload combinations, it has not mattered. Not a big deal, but should not happen, and I would guess all Ford trucks do this to some degree, mine cannot be unique in this regard (empty passenger seat shaking)...

The *ONLY* shaking I see anywhere in my 2008 F150 is when I look in the mirror on the side and see the difference of movement between the bed and the cab, on a rough road.

Other than that - no shaking anywhere, You sure your tires are Balanced?

Drive an early 2000s Chrysler product. Your Ford will seem like a Mercedes-Benz.
grin.gif

I never feel a thing through the driveline at any speed whatsoever. I check air monthly and it really is just a Ford thing.
Now the 150 may not be prone to this. The F250 and 350 have 80 psi and the CMax Hybrid are stout at 38 psi and sprung like a BMW.
I suspect the Lincoln ride quality of the F150 has this dialed out. My 2006 Lincoln LS V8 never did it either but was a harsh rider.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The *ONLY* shaking I see anywhere in my 2008 F150 is when I look in the mirror on the side and see the difference of movement between the bed and the cab, on a rough road.

Other than that - no shaking anywhere, You sure your tires are Balanced?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I have had three new Fords since late 2011
One thing I noticed from all three is if you ride alone and you look over
at the passenger seat it rattles and shakes constantly. The cup holders when used get very noisy.
Even the cheapest Mitsubishi doesn't do that. No stones in the tires either- new tires as well. This starts from Mile 1.
Ford apparently isn't doing a very good job of isolating the vehicle chassis and occupants from the road.
And I'm talking about good smooth roads.

I could see a bit of this in a big F350 like I had with 80 psi in the tires but on the small cars I think
Ford needs to go back to the drawing board. Anybody else notice this?

I've noticed this also. The Mustang's passenger seat rattles and shakes like crazy if it's not occupied and has since day one. The dash has also always rattled to where you have to put some weight on it with your hand while driving down the slightest bumpy roads. The suspension has always been rattly too.

Thanks aquariuscsm !
I have underbody resonance on my 16 C-Max
It is those bolted on underbody panels they put everywhere.
Sure in theory they should do wonders- of course that is if they are secured and don't rattle themselves.
Plus they make servicing a hassle- I'm not a fan.......

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
underbody resonance

That's exactly what it is! I know this because I've read about automakers (not Ford lol) addressing this exact phenomenon. Although in that context, it was to reduce underbody excitations transferred through devices like the exhaust piping, generated by "lugging" and low RPM cruising.

The police don't notice it....they pass out (from CO fumes) before they can complain about any vibration.....

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic
My 2013 F-250 (company truck) has from new always done the passenger seat shake, even on smooth new pavement.
confused.gif

Thank you Sir!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The police don't notice it....they pass out (from CO fumes) before they can complain about any vibration.....

I seen that on the news...sad!!!!

Clearly some people are more sensitive and notice this than others. I too have noticed this on my fords. Also most fords are hard on tires and heat shields on catalytic converters loosen and rattle. GM dashes squeak. Haven't had too many other brands to know their quirks

Every car I've had rattled. The two chronic ones in the Toyota are something in the right front seat cushion when it's unoccupied, and the junction between the "flying buttress" and the center console box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back