Trumpet Oil for Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

The best brass valve oil is Ultrapure..period. Hey we could debate this too.

Anyway. I bought a couple needle oilers for both my horns and drum roll..why not guns? So far..so good.If the ultrapure were not so expensive I would use it in my vehicle.

What the hey..finally a thread that discusses oil.

Until we have a uoa of 40 to 50k depressions we really cant know. Plus we dont know what trumpet what valves and reed. Without that we cant reccomend an oil or oci.
smile.gif
best to stick with oem.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
... Plus we dont know what trumpet what valves and reed. ...
Reed? On a trumpet!?

Originally Posted By: Al

Anyway. I bought a couple needle oilers for both my horns and drum roll..why not guns? So far..so good.If the ultrapure were not so expensive I would use it in my vehicle.

I'll take a stab at it:
1) Musical instrument oil is probably lacking in EP additives.
2) Oil designed for brass instruments is probably not going to have great corrosion protection abilities.
3) Gun oils need to be creepy to seep into assemblies and permanently joined parts.
4) Great gun oil can be bought for $40 a gallon...

BSW

Until we have a uoa of 40 to 50k depressions we really cant know.

The water content will be off the charts!

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins

?????

Mobil 1 doesn't cost that much, unless you are getting the new "Annual Protection" baloney

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Great gun oil can be bought for $40 a gallon...

Mobil 1 doesn't cost that much, unless you are getting the new "Annual Protection" baloney

That's what I was going to say. And unless you're a competition shooter, a quart of Mobil 1 will all but last a lifetime, if all you use it on is weapons.

Another thing to consider is brass musical instruments have a human mouth applied to them in order to be played. That being the case, do these type of lubes fall under FDA guidelines as a, "Food Grade lubricant"? If so I'd walk away from it. Most food grade lubricants are plant ester based, and can spoil over time. We're seeing this all over the Internet with Frog Lube gumming up guns that have seen any appreciable storage time.

I love the comments..keep em coming. I will see how many thousands of rounds the 42 lasts with this oil. Seems glocks can go many thousands of rounds without cleaning or oiling. So given I regularly clean and oil (every 4 or 500 rounds) I will still outlive me.

like the idea of a voa on the oil though.

Seems glocks can go many thousands of rounds without cleaning or oiling. ... It will still outlive me.

Have you seen the 100,000+ Glock Torture test?!?

I'll take a stab at it:
1) Musical instrument oil is probably lacking in EP additives.
2) Oil designed for brass instruments is probably not going to have great corrosion protection abilities.
3) Gun oils need to be creepy to seep into assemblies and permanently joined parts.

BSW

I liked 1 thru 3.
Your #4 would be a waste because three ounces of oil lasts me two years. Only things I oil with handguns are the barrel lug and whatever moves in the trigger parts. The rest gets lightweight grease.

When you manually open your slide and run it back & forth a few times, if it ain't quiet sliding and it sounds a little like grinding, it's need grease, not oil.

A friend handed me his Glock26, after stating he just shot 200 at the range and now 500 rounds fired without cleaning / oiling. Planning on leaving the gun dirty for another range visit the very next week. I unloaded it and worked the slide. My wife could hear it 20 feet away, in the open door bathroom.

Not good care given to that Glock. Use oils and grease on a handgun that fit the task. Not something that fits a trumpet or something toxic and smelly that works the inside of your car engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Use oils and grease on a handgun that fit the task.

And there are literally thousands of lubricants in that category. Most all of them don't require the word "Gun" to appear on the label anywhere to do the job.... Unless paying more is a prerequisite.

Originally Posted By: billt460
And there are literally thousands of lubricants in that category. Most all of them don't require the word "Gun" to appear on the label anywhere to do the job.... Unless paying more is a prerequisite.

Exactly

1 oz of Rem oil or Hoppes at Walmart is just a few bucks, is designed and formulated for firearms, and is good for dozens of cleanings. Lets don't over think this.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
1 oz of Rem oil or Hoppes at Walmart is just a few bucks, is designed and formulated for firearms, and is good for dozens of cleanings. Lets don't over think this.

I would just like to know what's in it that makes it.... "A gun oil formulated for firearms"? This question keeps coming up, but never is provided with an adequate answer.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: gman2304

I would just like to know what's in it that makes it.... "A gun oil formulated for firearms"? This question keeps coming up, but never is provided with an adequate answer.

Corrosion protection - Guns are open to the elements and get wet. Engine oils aren't very good at preventing rust.
EP additives - Not a lot of firearms have oil pumps lubricating plain bearings, so you need more EP additives. Engine oils are designed around the the oil being pumped to bearings and getting to a steady temp.
Creepiness - To get into spaces between parts to lubricate them and protect them from corrosion. People tend to complain when engine oils ooze out of every seal in the motor.

As a side note, since there aren't any guns that have a catalytic converter, the additive package to achieve the above doesn't need to be compatible with catalytic elements, giving the lubrication engineer a bigger toolbox to pull from.

BSW

Corrosion protection - Guns are open to the elements and get wet. Engine oils aren't very good at preventing rust.
EP additives - Not a lot of firearms have oil pumps lubricating plain bearings, so you need more EP additives. Engine oils are designed around the the oil being pumped to bearings and getting to a steady temp. Creepiness - To get into spaces between parts to lubricate them and protect them from corrosion. People tend to complain when engine oils ooze out of every seal in the motor.

Sounds good. Does every "Gun Oil" have these necessary attributes? Or are you simply saying they SHOULD have them? And how does the consumer know for certain if they do? Because just looking for the term...... "Gun Oil" on the label doesn't give me all that much confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back