What kind of shocks to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used 2003 GMC Envoy with about 107k miles on it. It is in generally good condition. One of the things the dealer did prior to puttint it on the lot was putting in new rear shocks. But from what I can tell they are Monroe Matic Plus, a bottom of the barrel offering.

So I'm looking to upgrade them to something better, especially because the job is such as easy one to do DIY.

I'm looking at the following:

Rancho RS5000
Monroe Reflex
Blistein B6 4600

Any thoughts on those? They are also in order of least to most expensive, but all are within about $10 of each other per shock.

The Blisteins or OEM would be my first choice.
smile.gif

My issue is that I'm getting a lot of body roll with the ones on their now. Looking to reduce that.

Turns out the AAP discount codes don't work on Blistein. So they are just too expensive. Going to go with the Monroe Reflex. Lot of good reviews, and I can get them locally at the store.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Anti-roll bars, shocks won't stop that.

+1

Any shock stiff enough to help with body roll, will be so stiff you'll hate the ride ...

Last edited:
I bought Bilsteins for my car (they'll go on when it cools down a bit) so that's exactly what you should do too.

Seriously, the full set of Bilstein B6 HD I put on a wagon were AMAZING.

See if there's an Anti-Roll Bar (and possibly upgrade to a thicker one).

The monroe reflexes are GOOD ime. I had two sets on two different vehicles and liked them both. I do not care for other monroes in general, though Sensatraks on a used vehicle I had did a good job and I never had any complaints... My experience with the reflexes are that they let the suspension move (once they break in) but they don't let it keep moving. In other words, they had a somewhat plush ride but they would not float. usually soft shocks let the suspension travel but then you're always weaving up and down, while stiff shocks don't let as much travel happen but also don't float up/down. The reflexes I had would to a degree let the suspension articulate, then come back and stop. I was pleased with them - suitable for a larger vehicle. Had one set on a grand chero and another on a chryco minivan. The reflexes use a level of valving not found on the other monroes. I believe, though the marketing is named something different, that they are similar to the bilsteins.

I have aftermarket bilsteins on my tundra, which also came oem with bilsteins. I really haven't been that impressed with them, though the bilsteins I've known have lasted longer than the monroes, but still not as long as the brands that come oem on foreign cars like honda and even volvo. Truck-use bilsteins seem SHOT at 100k, mine were GONE at 100k, and with 46k on the replacements, I'm not impressed.

Don't be afraid to go with the reflexes. While I'd shy away from lesser monroes, I would certainly consider them for truck-type vehicles.

-m

No dog in this fight, just chiming in that through researching shocks for my Jeep Grand, it was Bilstein 5125's, Pro Comp MX6 or ... Well pretty much those two were the "best"

I've read Rancho's work, but are very stiff. Great for those who don't care about a Cadillac-like ride though. Had a buddy who worked at a franchise-style shop and he'd recommend Rancho's often. I believe their Rancho XL line? Something like that.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I just bought a used 2003 GMC Envoy with about 107k miles on it. It is in generally good condition. One of the things the dealer did prior to puttint it on the lot was putting in new rear shocks. But from what I can tell they are Monroe Matic Plus, a bottom of the barrel offering.

So I'm looking to upgrade them to something better, especially because the job is such as easy one to do DIY.

I'm looking at the following:

Rancho RS5000
Monroe Reflex
Blistein B6 4600

Any thoughts on those? They are also in order of least to most expensive, but all are within about $10 of each other per shock.
Bilstein 4600
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I'd also consider KYB Gas-a-Just shocks.

KYB = Keep Your Bilsteins.

Clever.

I own both currently. I've owned both in the past. I installed a lot of both on customer cars back in my consumer car repair days.

I'd take either over a Monroe product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back