OEM for SEALS such as Pinion or ..who else??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have probably done 15+ pinion seal replacements and found using a quality brand like Timken, SKF or National does the job the same as OEM counter part. Many times the OEM counter part will just be a reboxed one from the previously mentioned brands.

As to U-Joint replacement, if factory "sealed for life" ones are installed, I would replace while there since half the job is already done for removing the driveshaft for the pinion seal. I would also entertain the replacing the rear transmission seal also and be done with everything.

I've used SKF seals and they seem to seal and hold up well. Wouldn't bother with the driveshaft ujionts as posted above.

As long as you are using a brand name like SKF, Timken, National, it should be ok. There is alot of science behind seals, but any reputable company is more than capable of designing these properly.

The only risk is on rare occasions, the OEMs update their part design to make improvements but the aftermarket manufacturers lag behind and are still supplying an older design. The rear axle seals on 3rd gen 4Runners is one specific example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back