New Glock 17-L "Long Slide"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had an E-Mail notification on these for quite a while from Davidson's, but they never seem to ever get any in stock. Yesterday I received an unexpected E-Mail from them saying they had just gotten some in. I immediately ordered one.

I'm really excited about this pistol. I have a standard 17, as well as the 19 and 26. But the 17-L has always intrigued me. I didn't realize how hard they are to come by. The 34's are a dime a dozen in either Gen 3 or Gen 4, because they are well used in all of the run and gun games. But no one stocks the 17-L around here, and Phoenix has many gun shops. I read that Glock is only releasing 500 of them for import to the United States in 2017. If that's true, they are more uncommon than I thought.

Anyway, here she is. I picked it up yesterday afternoon. Just made it home before the rain started. Handling this pistol, I absolutely love everything about it. It points like a laser, and is balanced perfectly. Glock did a beautiful job in machining the slide to weigh and balance the same as a standard Glock 17 slide. The sights are sharp and definitive, as well as adjustable. The trigger is so much better than the conventional triggers the other service Glocks receive. It's much lighter and crisper. Surprising for a Glock. I have zero doubt this gun is going to see a lot of ammunition. I'm only sorry that I waited so long to get one! (I don't know if this link will work. They don't make it very easy to post photos here...... When I click on the link, it shows up fine).

http://i.imgur.com/vkMLmIU.jpg?2

What's the advantage over a 34?

Further, what does Glock do to the trigger?

I'm not a fan of the stock Glock trigger, it's mushy. But as a guy that owns several Glocks, I am a fan of the platform. That's the one area that could use some improvement and I was considering an Apex set-up...

Oh, and the link works just fine...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
What's the advantage over a 34?

Further, what does Glock do to the trigger?

I'm not a fan of the stock Glock trigger, it's mushy. But as a guy that owns several Glocks, I am a fan of the platform. That's the one area that could use some improvement and I was considering an Apex set-up...

Oh, and the link works just fine...

No real "advantage" so to speak. The Glock 17-L has a barrel length of 6.02". The Glock 34 comes in at 5.31",...... .710" shorter. The 34 will fit into the IDPA "Box", where as the 17-L will not. Which makes it illegal for IDPA competition. It's more of a dedicated target and range gun. The trigger seems to be somewhat crisper than my other standard Glock triggers, and a bit less "mushy". It also let's off lighter. I'm guessing around 4 to 4-1/2 pounds. I haven't shot it yet, or used a trigger scale. This is only based on initial handling of the weapon.

But I really like what I'm seeing so far. Some solid range time is needed before I can make any other reliable comments. I have heard that the 17-L's don't like light loaded 115 grain FMJ practice ammo straight out of the box. Several guys who have them told me to take no less than 124 gr. ammo to break it in for a few hundred rounds. Even some +P. And to grease the slide up good. After that they say they'll eat anything. I don't know if this is true or not. Glock machines the slide to balance and weigh the same as a standard 17. And it also takes the exact same recoil spring. So I'm not sure why they wouldn't digest anything ammo wise right away? Again, some range time will answer all of this.

I'd guess that the longer barrel would result in increased accuracy? Works that way for revolvers anyway.
smile.gif
Is the 17-L considered a competition pistol?

Last edited:
I've also always been intrigued by the 17L and will hopefully add one to my collection someday.

They're quite rare, for a Glock-only produced in limited runs and only few of those imported-at retail they fetch a bit more than standarmodels but not prohibitively so.

I just wish they would update them to Gen4, as I like to slim down my Gen2/3 grips to shed some bulk and fit my hands better.

Originally Posted By: sohccammer427
Is the 17-L considered a competition pistol?

Pretty much. At least that's what I've read and been told. It sure seems to have all the right credentials. The trigger and the sights are beautiful for a target pistol.

Man, that looks great! Is the trigger mechanically different from other triggers? Is it better polished or anything like that? Or is it just that you got a good one? Just curious, I'd be interested if there was a mechanical difference. I wouldn't mind owning one of those or a 34 one day.

Here's your picture:

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Man, that looks great! Is the trigger mechanically different from other triggers? Is it better polished or anything like that? Or is it just that you got a good one? Just curious, I'd be interested if there was a mechanical difference. I wouldn't mind owning one of those or a 34 one day.

Here's your picture:

Thanks for posting the pic. I can't say for sure what they do as far as the triggers on the 17-L. I've read they are considered to be a, "Competition Grade Trigger" by Glock. Now what that exactly means, or encompasses as far as parts, or actual additional work done on the trigger itself, I'm not sure. As I mentioned, it doesn't feel anywhere near as "spongy" as most all of the Glock triggers do. It seems to have a little more crispiness to it, along with a lighter pull. I really should break down and buy a trigger gauge. I've got enough guns now to where I could get my money's worth out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back