Hitch Install Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I recently had a 1.25" Curt hitch installed on my 2010 Accord (so I could install a nice bike rack).

I went to my local auto accessory dealer and purchased and had them install the hitch yesterday.

After I got the car home, I crawled under the back of the car to inspect the installation. Everything looks great, except they didn't reinstall the rear/trunk/gas tank plastic cover. So, now large portion of the rear undercarriage is completely exposed to the elements.

Is this a big deal? Should I go back and ask them to re-install the cover?

I would confirm whether or not it will fit with the hitch installed. On my Odyssey there was a piece of faring that could not be reinstalled with the hitch attached.

When I installed a Hidden Hitch on mine, I didn't remember having that cover. Take pics if you can.

Many times the directions say notch or remove cover.. almost always they remove the cover if it doesnt 100% fit without any alteration.

Had 3 cars installer removed covers on.

If it will not go on with the hitch installed and you live in the snow belt I would recommend cleaning the area with Brake cleaner and a rag then spray it with Rustolium Professional grade rubberized undercoating it goes on like black paint and works great at keeping the underside safe. The Rustolium brand has a real high level of rust preventative mixed into it you can get it at WM or most auto parts stores and cost between $7-9.00 per can.

Also not a bad idea to spray you hitch I did mine years ago and no rust yet and Massachusetts is one of the worst for rust!

Yeah, you have to "notch" the cover to get it go back on. Which means they would have to remove the hitch, install the cover with the proper alterations, and then re-install the hitch.

I bet it would be a pain in the rear. You'd have to install the hitch mounting bolts "blind" because the cover would be in the way....or hack up the rear cover bad enough that there's really no reason to have it on now anyways.

I guess I'll spray everything really well with Fluid Film to help keep the corrosion down.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner

Also not a bad idea to spray you hitch I did mine years ago and no rust yet and Massachusetts is one of the worst for rust!

The shop that installed the hitch does a lot of Line-X work around here. I asked them how much it would cost to Line-X the hitch before installation and he quoted me $175. No thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back