Should I fill this motor mount with polyurethane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Fusion has a bad motor mount on the passenger's side. It's a hydraulic mount, and looks like this...

The OEM mount went bad in about 6 years and 70,000 miles. I am replacing it with an aftermarket Anchor branded mount. Yes, I know I'm a bad person for buying an aftermarket mount. But the OEM mount didn't last long, so the aftermarket stuff can't be that bad, and I've successfully used this brand in the past.

But what I'm really looking to do it make this replacement mount bulletproof. This is a common failure point on these cars, and I don't want to spend almost $200 on an aftermarket poly performance mount. So here's the plan... the mount in question is indeed a hydraulic mount. It has a sealed 'bladder' that limits movement, as I understand it. But if you look at the picture, there is a small air void in the top of the mount that goes down a little ways; it's bigger than it looks. I was thinking of filling this with some polyurethane (Loctite construction adhesive, about $5. Google it). I'm thinking that this could prevent the rubber portion of the mount from moving excessively and tearing prematurely, like the OEM mount did. It certainly can't hurt anything. I'm not really worried about excess vibration. I'm more concerned about the mount being solid and not flopping around like a fish out of water.

Just fill the broken factory mount. If it works, you're good, if it doesn't, install the new mount. I filled a rubber mount on my honda, I let it dry for several days. There was more vibration but not too bad, it's worked fine for years now. I used construction sealant not adhesive, the sealant is a lower durometer.

I know a guy that went through autozone engine mounts every 6 months and did that and I think it worked or atleast made it a couple years in between changes. He only has two foot postions when driving. On the floor and off the floor.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
3M Window-weld is the stuff you want.

Windshield urethane is an AMAZING glue/adhesive for many, many, many things.

1000X better than "duct tape"
grin.gif

I fear you are embarking on a fools errand right from the get go with this project.
The Anchor brand is pure garbage if the original lasted 6 yrs you will be lucky to get 6 months if not weeks out of it before you feel vibration.
Filling it with poly is going to cause vibration, when its all said and done you will buy an OE mount to get another 6 years and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I fear you are embarking on a fools errand right from the get go with this project.
The Anchor brand is pure garbage if the original lasted 6 yrs you will be lucky to get 6 months if not weeks out of it before you feel vibration.
Filling it with poly is going to cause vibration, when its all said and done you will buy an OE mount to get another 6 years and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I agree about Anchor. Just put one in an Anchor brand mount a month ago, was really nice for the first few days. Now it's vibrating worse than the broken OEM one. It's vibrating so bad I can feel the vibrations when I rest my hand on the fender.

Going to put the broken OEM one back in since it's easy to do on this car and if the vibrations are less I'm just going to buy a new OEM one, lesson learned.

I agree and respect Trav's advice. Besides, if the automakers thought that sealing a mount would be a good thing - they would be doing it or somebody in the aftermarket would be selling a "problem solver" mount with that modification. You are basically starting with a turd mount anyhow with the Anchor brand so go ahead and see what happens because you will be changing it out soon anyhow. (I used Anchor before and stopped after experiencing early failures 3 times on 3 different make/model vehicles and a 4th where the mount was so poorly contructed and off center I couldn't even use it.)

Agree! I filled the dog one mount on my Toyota V6 1MZFE engine with 3M Window-Weld as shown on many DIY videos. The vibration felt in the cabin rattled my teeth.

Last edited:
I'd go OE, and not fill or tamper with it. I'd be willing to bet it will outlast the aftermarket mount by several years.

Hydraulic engine mounts are a BandAid covering up an engine with the jitters from other problems. These new cars are supposed to run like a Swiss watch even with solid steel mounts.

I have two Anchor mounts in my Corolla and so far they have held up for several years with very little vibration. I knew their reputation before I bought them but I wasnt about to spend $200 for mounts in a 300,000+ mile Corolla. But so far, so good.....From all the negative press on forums I'm sure I'm in the very small minority with them actually doing ok.

Before I got the Anchors I originally filled the worn out factory mounts and that was a lesson in what not to do, the vibration was horrific at best. I don't know why filling mounts gets recommended the way it does on so many forums. Their wasn't a single piece on the car that didn't vibrate horribly with filled mounts. Never again.

Go OEM, the people who work on cars every day know from experience what they are talking about.

It is a common "performance upgrade" to install solid polyurethane mounts. However, the NVH tradeoff is drastic. I don't think you experience filling OEM style mounts will be much different. So the question is, are you willing to trade NVH for a solid mount or are you willing to replace the OEM again in 6 years?

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

I agree about Anchor. Just put one in an Anchor brand mount a month ago, was really nice for the first few days. Now it's vibrating worse than the broken OEM one. It's vibrating so bad I can feel the vibrations when I rest my hand on the fender.

Going to put the broken OEM one back in since it's easy to do on this car and if the vibrations are less I'm just going to buy a new OEM one, lesson learned.

01.gif

I would go with OE or buy a properly made polyurethane mount. I replaced the lower dog bone mount on my fusion with a billet aluminum mount with polyurethane bushings and it's great. A small increase in NVH at idle almost completely eliminated wheel hop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back