Problem with 2013 VW Passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car dies in traffic and battery light comes on but restarts..... German mechanic says he can't find any codes, can't replicate the problem and that the battery and alternator are fine... could it be that the battery has a short? I'm thinking she should replace it anyway it's probably 5 years.

If the battery is 5 years old, I'd go ahead and replace it. Report back when and if it gets fixed and what the culprit was. Far too many of these threads never have the OP come back and tell the fix.

I dont know about your car but the battery light comes on in mine when the car stalls. Not because the battery is bad but because the ignition is on and the car is off.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
.........Report back when and if it gets fixed and what the culprit was. Far too many of these threads never have the OP come back and tell the fix.

Agreed 100%. Inconsiderate in my opinion!

Just battery light, and it doesn't start back up for 10-15 seconds, like its dead. No power. Not like stalling and all of the lights are on.

The oil light should also come on whenever key on engine not running, unless of course it has a gauge.

Sounds like a main circuit is being lost. Start the engine and go around and bang on all the fuse / relay boxes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fcjeep
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
.........Report back when and if it gets fixed and what the culprit was. Far too many of these threads never have the OP come back and tell the fix.

Agreed 100%. Inconsiderate in my opinion!

01.gif

It's a VW. Ask any owner why they traded theirs in... electrical issues always.

Try the new battery. Check the grounds for corrosion. If neither, trade and never get anoter VW/Audi product again. Unless it's on lease.

Originally Posted By: DdDd

Try the new battery. Check the grounds for corrosion. If neither, trade and never get anoter VW/Audi product again. Unless it's on lease.

hehe...so true. What is it with the Germans and poor electronics....

Originally Posted By: philipp10

My bmw has been far more reliable electrically than any car ive owned
21.gif

We'll try the battery and see how that works, Thanks. It seems to happen only once every couple weeks while sitting in traffic on a 30 mile each way commute, that is 85% highway.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

21.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Your BMW is so old it's practically a Flinstone-mobile

hehe...so true. What is it with the Germans and poor electronics.... [/quote]

21.gif
[/quote]

Well I have drive Japanese since the mid 80's and basically never have had an electrical problem. SO I guess you could say, what is your frame of reference?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy

21.gif

crackmeup2.gif
Your BMW is so old it's practically a Flinstone-mobile

True.

I used to refer to it as "the model 3" (in reference to the Ford Model "T")
smirk.gif

21.gif
[/quote]

Well I have drive Japanese since the mid 80's and basically never have had an electrical problem. SO I guess you could say, what is your frame of reference? [/quote]

I was under the impression we were discussing German cars...not Japanese cars.
Or is this about 80's cars vs. current cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back