Driver Side Axle seal replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
With swapping axles and all of the other work I've done on my Accord recently, I must've hit the driver side axle seal with a screwdriver or prybar as the trans is leaking from that spot.

I found the replacement seal. Anyone have any idea how hard they are to replace? I'm hoping they can be replaced from the outside. Pull old seal out and seat new one? Large socket to drive it in?

Thanks, this is on the 2009 Honda Accord.

Doing an oil change as well.

Can't speak to the accord specifically, but I've swapped axle seals on other FWD vehicles and they're replaced from the outside. I would put a little lube on the seal to help it seal better. Shouldn't need to drive it in, may damage it that way.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Use a seal driver.

By all means. And if you don't have a seal driver set, most autopart stores will loan you one for free w/a deposit.

Something like this is nice to have if you do this once in a while:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-Bearing-Race-and-Seal-Installer-Set-948004/203120735?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Garage-Automotive%7c&gclid=CjwKCAjw8IXMBRB8EiwAg9fgMM7IdgNb1hfOXaYLMvNfHnGsNnuYpx2DWraua5syAdH3DzToiF6F0BoCoIIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLeb3qO7udUCFclofgodSQkFxQ

HF has an economy kit, but it's just for seals and not rugged enough really for bearings.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-piece-seal-driver-kit-35555.html

If you have trouble removing the old seal, google tips because you do not want to scratch the race.

You should only need to undo the ball joint and swing the knuckle out to have space to pull the axle out of the transmission. No need to remove the outside axle nut.

Thank you all, I ordered two seals from RockAuto (incase I mess one up). Less than $10 with shipping.

130k and counting. Best car I've ever owned to date. Stay tuned for a nice review on the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back