Can't Get Blade Loose on 48" JD Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting to sharpen the blades on my 48" JD Deck. Problem is I can't get one of the blades off. The guy last year said he couldn't get the one blade off. Just had a throttle cable repaired in a shop and they offered to sharpen the blades but they couldn't get it off with an impact wrench (so he said).

What do I do?

Worse case scenario, remove the pully on top and drop the spindle out.
May require a new spindle if that doesn't allow blade removal.

My 2¢

Heat - welding torch, or MAPP Gas torch. Heat the bolt head to to hot. The heat in head will go down the shank some. Use big impact wrench and back it off. If that does not work, 1/8" cut-off disc in grinder and cut the blade off in two pieces so you can then remove the spindle assembly out through the deck and take to machine shop to get the bolt out.

Decent used spindles are $50 on eBay. So if the bolt is permanent, you can drop another in place and a new blade and you're good to go. If the shop can get the bolt out, new blade and good to go.

In any case, they use a compression washer to hold the blade under the bolt head. So use liberal amount of Never-Sieze in those bolts so they can be removed in the future ...

Worst case you must use cut-off wheel to take the bolt head off so you can get blade remnants and compression washer off spindle so it can be removed. Then heat the remaining bolt shaft stub hot and use pipe wrench to grab the stub and back it out ... If you have to go this way, I'd soak the bolt stub spindle end in a shallow can with diesel for a few days before I tried heating and backing out ...

Last edited:
Just went through this on my Husqvarna. I dropped the deck and took the spindle down from top. Had issue with bolt inside spindle and the entire spindle with housing with new bearings was $28. No brainer with 2 new bearings. Would have had to order just the spindle at $19 plus shipping

As stated: I more powerful impact. My JD caused me grief when I tried to remove the blades. I tied my 3/8 impact but, ended up borrowing a 1/2 Chi pneumatic and it zipped right off. Ed

Originally Posted By: Donald
Bigger impact.

Yes if the bolt really won't come out it would break. There is no such thing as over-loosening.

Blade bolts seem to always be right hand thread but if you see an "L" in the center of the bolt head that means it is left-handed and you need to turn it the other way.

1/2 inch impact with impact sockets only, regular sockets seem to absorb too much of the impact.

Not yet. I haven't tried. It's a church mower and I haven't had the time to try your suggestions. I do have a 1/2 impact with impact sockets and kroil. The mechanic at the lawnmower shop said he was afraid he was gonna ring the bolt off.

On my L111 John Deere 42 inch, the blades are secured with bolts. If I buggered up the bolt head, I'd just drill out the bolt and replace. Ed

Take the spindle assembly out, take the assembly to a shop and have them heat it. It will save you a lot of frustration, time, and skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back