MMO improved performance, what does it indicate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started doing my own car work this summer, basic stuff like changing fluids etc, nothing fancy. In the past, I would just leave the car to the mechanic for an oil change. Never really bothered much which oil he puts, how much etc. After reading a BITOG, I started becoming more curious what goes in the car.

I changed oil with SuperTech High mileage 5W-30 in my 2006 Sentra. The car has been really sluggish, would take the time to speed up etc. Would struggle go up the hill. I also changed the spark plugs. Planning to do 3-month oil changes for a year to clean up the engine. I will drain the oil this weekend. Last week, I added 10oz of MMO to almost 3 qt of engine oil and went out for a 100 mile trip.

On the way back, I noticed the engine performance improvement. There was a 'pep' if I can put it like that. Next day, I took it on the hill to see how it performs on the uphill slope. It did fairly well. During regular in-town driving, I feel the car being more responsive. Yesterday, I asked DW to take it to work and she also noticed similarly.

I wonder what does it indicate and how this should be approached further? Any pointers welcome. I don't want to go get a can of Kreen but would like to know if that should be the next step.

Thanks in advance.

MMO might have thinned out your oil a bit, ive noticed running thinner oil in my minivan made the throttle response improve. About to change oil on my truck to thin and see if it has the same response.

No need to get Kreen. MMO does the same thing, just many people say that it does so a bit "slower" than Kreen. That is a good thing. Stick with MMO. Use 5-10oz in the oil 100 miles before the oil change (every OCI), and use 1oz/1gal ratio for the fuel to give that a good cleaning too. Hopefully you will see even better results in power, responsiveness, and fuel economy, like many of us on BITOG have experienced.

Well if you didn't change the plugs then I would say the MMO did something but since you did the plugs then that is where you got the improved performance from.

Im sure the spark plug change made a slight difference. Run back to back tanks of a quality fuel system cleaner & see it that helps at all also??? Good luck!!!

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Well if you didn't change the plugs then I would say the MMO did something but since you did the plugs then that is where you got the improved performance from.
If I read the original post correctly - then the change in performance did not take place until AFTER MMO was added.
Seems like OP changed the plugs, drove around for a while qith little to no change, and then added MMO last week. Once MMO started doing it's magic - good results took place. If the spark plugs were the ones to blame for success - the results would be noticed immediately after a spark plug replacement, before the addition of MMO.

I am ruling out spark plugs because the oil change and the spark plug change was performed within 2 weeks of each other. The car is running for 2+ months on new spark plugs and I didn't notice this 'pep'. This change is less than 10 days old. Hence, my hunch is more in MMO.

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
I am ruling out spark plugs because the oil change and the spark plug change was performed within 2 weeks of each other. The car is running for 2+ months on new spark plugs and I didn't notice this 'pep'. This change is less than 10 days old. Hence, my hunch is more in MMO.

01.gif
01.gif
01.gif

I find most 5w30 dexos 1 too viscous for NA engines, Ive been subbing 1/2 > 1 qt 5w20 to thin the sump a bit. This will affect HTHS and KV. Most of these engine have been fairly YOUNG, so that would be a factor to consider.

KREEN is much more effective than MMO, but pretty agressive ... BG109 (EPR) is somewhere in the middle. I suspect you had stuck rings. I'd run full can of BG109 in two consecutive 3,000 oil changes and see what happens. Suspect you'll get a bit more GO
laugh.gif

You definitely need to get the KREEN maybe 2 or 3 bottles of it, since MMO did not make any difference. Yeah the MMO always fixes cars but only with 2 or 3 KREEN treatments immediately afterwards. We don't know how any of this works, that's a bona fide Mystery, we just know that it does ernt thert's gerd enerf fer me. It must be the Chlorocarbons. Bleach has chlorine in it so you know it's cleaning out the engine and removing stains and outperforming regular oils on "the bandit".
27.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Ive been subbing 1/2 > 1 qt 5w20 to thin the sump a bit. This will affect HTHS and KV. Most of these engine have been fairly YOUNG, so that would be a factor to consider.

Can you pls elaborate? I got lost in translation (of the short forms). Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
KREEN is much more effective than MMO, but pretty agressive ... BG109 (EPR) is somewhere in the middle. I suspect you had stuck rings. I'd run full can of BG109 in two consecutive 3,000 oil changes and see what happens. Suspect you'll get a bit more GO
laugh.gif

I am hesitant of using Kreen because everyone suggests that its aggressive. If its really the crud that is loosening, I don't want to do it quick. I would prefer slow but steady.
With BG109, can I add it to the oil that has MMO or should keep this one for the next one?
I liked Vlad's idea because if MMO is cleaning, let it do the job for 3-4 short OCIs and then plan anything else. It may also give some idea what is actually going on (if cleaning the crud so the oil will be coffee brown etc.).

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn

I am hesitant of using Kreen because everyone suggests that its aggressive.

Then why are you asking about using it, especially after your "problem" seems to have been miraculously solved by MMO?????? What am I supposed to conclude from this thread, that MMO works and it's competitor KREEN might be too harsh and aggressive?

Quote:
I liked Vlad's idea because if MMO is cleaning, let it do the job for 3-4 short OCIs and then plan anything else. It may also give some idea what is actually going on (if cleaning the crud so the oil will be coffee brown etc.).

This is a good plan. It is also easy to implement and the MMO easier to get than the Kreen. I like Kano products, nothing against them (AeroKroil is awesome), but it just doesn't seem necessary to go to the added expense here and hassle in this case. The ring theory is also a very likely scenario (freed some modestly stuck ones as BrocLuno said).

If you do add it to fuel, you can do a large loading dose initially as Vlad mentioend. BUt also you can use it 3~4 ozs/10gallons every tank. In both our daily drivers, this results in improved performance and a small mpg boost, even when using top tier 92 octane.

Coincidentally, I'm doing another piston soak on my Acura SLX with stuck OC rings today. One of the soaks is going to be with MMO + acetone.

MMO has been around my entire life, and I've heard and/or read many,many articles about MMO. I've used it as an oil additive and I don't have an opinion one way or another as to how effective it is. I think MMO is just another oil concoction that has a distinctive odor. Maybe one notch above being a "mousemilk."

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
MMO has been around my entire life, and I've heard and/or read many,many articles about MMO. I've used it as an oil additive and I don't have an opinion one way or another as to how effective it is. I think MMO is just another oil concoction that has a distinctive odor. Maybe one notch above being a mousemilk.
If your engine is problem-free on the inside (no sludge or severe varnish) then MMO will not make any difference inside the crankcase, aside from lowering the viscosity of the oil. But if your engine has issues such as valve seals, ring land build-up, or slight sludge - then MMO will absolutely make a difference that you WILL feel (more "pep") and see (less blue exhaust smoke, less varnish/sludge). So I guess in your case - the engines you used MMO in were pretty good to begin with. Good job on that!

When I deal with possible fuel system issues - I add a full quart of MMO to the 10-12 gallon gas tank and top it off. On the next 3 tanks I do 1oz/1gal ratio. After that it is 10oz/tank every 4th fill up. So far had ZER0 issues with such plan. Love the minty smell
happy2.gif

Thanks, Vlad (and some of the others) for constructive comments. I never felt the car responsive since acquired it pre-owned. Whatever be the reason, I will be happy even if I manage to keep the car like this, if not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back