Brake noise diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
'07 RAV4 with lots of Raybestos pad front and back makes a grinding noise when coming to a complete stop, but only for the last ten feet.
The brakes work well, have about 10 k on them, and upon inspection showed no areas of shiny metal, shavings anywhere, nor areas of unusual heat.
Where should I look?

On the other side of disc
smile.gif

Or is schroud around the disc bent/rusted and is in contact with the disc

Or worn out pads with metal....you know that metal sheets that informs you to change your pads
smile.gif

Mine makes a slight low grinding noise too on the last few feet. I'm running Centric semi metallics though. They advertised as being quiet brakes (and were for about 7k miles). But recently the grinding has gone to squeaking now (for the last few feet) with light brake pressure. If I hose down the rotors and pads like when I do a car wash, the noise will go away for about a couple days. But I pretty these brakes are just noisier since they are semi metallics and are more aggressive than the stock ceramic pads. I can definitely feel like they bite harder than stock. I guess it's the price I pay for more aggressive pads.

Are your Raybestos ceramic or some other material?

We used a small quantity of these on Nissan/Infinitis vehicles and found them to be noisy after a while. We went back to OE or Centric Posi-Quiet 105's (when in a pinch).

That happened to me also but I was using some no name semi metallic brake pads when I was stuck in LA. Mine did the same exact thing ...braking the last few feet and then grinding and sometimes slipping. Pads were glazed over and not grabbing the disc. They still had a lot of meat left on them. I dumped them and put on EBC Red Stuff. No problems since. Best to stick to name brands or OEMs to avoid these kinds of headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back