Front Door Coatings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wonder whether anyone might have a recommendation for a front door coating for a wood door.

The main problem I have is that the door gets a lot of sun. The previous owner stained and polyurethane it, but the finish didn't hold up. I sanded the door and put another coat of poly on it, but that failed quickly, too.

Now, I'm wondering about paint, or maybe a marine coating of some kind. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am going to try spar varnish on an outdoor wood project. Spar varnish is billed as more resistant to weather than urethane.

Marine Spar varnish holds up well, if the surface, is properly prepped, clean and dry. Reduce the first coat slightly with paint thinner, allow it to completely dry. Lightly sand it with 320 sandpaper and dust it, then apply a second coat full strength. Allow that coat to completely dry, lightly sand and dust and apply a third and final coat full strength. Try and apply it when the area is in the shade. If you can block the sun while the product dries it makes for a better more durable finished product.

Not just any spar varnish, but Epifanes clear varnish (phenolic) will hold up best! google it!

The Helmsman spar varnish (urethane) is brittle and cracks/peels by about 4 or 5 years . . .

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Not just any spar varnish, but Epifanes clear varnish (phenolic) will hold up best! google it!

The Helmsman spar varnish (urethane) is brittle and cracks/peels by about 4 or 5 years . . .

Marine Spar varnish works very well. The key is to get "Marine Spar Varnish", and properly prepare the surface.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will also need to find a way to even out the stain, as some parts were sanded and are now lighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back