2014 Audi SQ5 air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be needing to replace an OEM air filter and was wondering if there was better to chose from. Mann? Wix?

The dealer will sell you the same OE filter as the aftermarket will sell you, it will be from Mann, Mahle or Hengst.
The only difference between vendors is their price.

So there isn't a better choice then Mann, Mahle or Hengst which I don't have a problem with any and was maybe just going to go with a wix gold filter.

I should add that I'm only asking because I've never had a car with a supercharger{if it matters}, a cone filter and such a big [censored] filter.

Air filtration is equally important in normally aspirated engines as it is in forced induction engines.

You can use a wix/fram/napa if you want to, but if they were able to protect your engine the manufacturer would have used them.

Audi use Mann/mahle/hengst in the new cars they sell with a warranty - tells you something about the standard and quality of the parts they use.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Air filtration is equally important in normally aspirated engines as it is in forced induction engines.

You can use a wix/fram/napa if you want to, but if they were able to protect your engine the manufacturer would have used them.

Audi use Mann/mahle/hengst in the new cars they sell with a warranty - tells you something about the standard and quality of the parts they use.

Why do you redline fluids then? If they were able to protect your engine, the manufacturer would have used them.

Audi uses Castrol in the new cars they well with a warranty - tells you something about the standard and quality of the parts they use.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Why do you redline fluids then? If they were able to protect your engine, the manufacturer would have used them.

Audi uses Castrol in the new cars they well with a warranty - tells you something about the standard and quality of the parts they use.

He uses Redline fluids in his ancient Sirocco... They more than meet his vehicle's specifications.

Im not sure I follow your Castrol statement. Are you implying that Castrol makes anything but excellent oils?

There's no denying that Fram cartridges for German cars are usually made in China junk. There are numerous examples of failed Fram cartridges, even on this site. WIX is usually fine but again, if Mann/Mahle/Hengst are so inexpensive and readily available, why bother with anything else?

Redline oils didn't exist when the car was made. I could use a period correct group1&2 15w40 or I could use something that meets the necessary 502 while having huge doses of FM and EP and AW adds, all of which are crucially important.

Audi use Castrol the same as any other company subcontracts work - whoever can fulfil the contract at the lowest price gets the business. If it meets 504/507 it's acceptable.

There's no denying that Fram cartridges for German cars are usually made in China junk. There are numerous examples of failed Fram cartridges, even on this site. [/quote]

This, x10.

Redline oils didn't exist when the car was made. I could use a period correct group1&2 15w40 or I could use something that meets the necessary 502 while having huge doses of FM and EP and AW adds, all of which are crucially important.

Audi use Castrol the same as any other company subcontracts work - whoever can fulfil the contract at the lowest price gets the business. If it meets 504/507 it's acceptable.

Which is the same thing as which filters VAG stocks at the parts counter and assembly plant. The choice between Mann, Mahle, Hengst, Purflux, Denso,... it's who can meet their specs and best pricepoint for them at the time they award the contract.

In the US, we also have the magnuson-moss act, which protects consumers from the auto manufacturers voiding warranties because consumers did not use the manufacturer's branded parts, they have to prove that aftermarket part caused the failure.

Yes, FRAM cartridge filters used to be great, their CH9911 was a German made filter that undercut the price of a Mann filter. Then they switched to a Chinese made filter (which Mann does have plants in china), which its construction mimicked a Hengst filter, which I didn't like the crushed look of the filter when I removed it from the car, which was why I went back to ordering Mann.

my current car, I'd get a Fram Ultra spin-on, but for 2x the cost (around $30 at Walmart) of a Mann (off of Amazon)? No thanks.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
... There's no denying that Fram cartridges for German cars are usually made in China junk. ...
What about made-in-China Fram cartridges for Japanese cars? I have one I haven't installed yet, a TG10358. It looks OK, but very different from the endcapless OE Denso type.

Originally Posted By: CR94
What about made-in-China Fram cartridges for Japanese cars? I have one I haven't installed yet, a TG10358. It looks OK, but very different from the endcapless OE Denso type.

Appears to be much better. Weighs more and has a nice rubber gasket that runs the perimeter. The OE Denso is nothing special. Per UOA reports it lets a fair amount of dirt/silicon in. Even the Fram FreshBreeze is very nice. I'm in no hurry to go back to the cheaper quality yet more expensive Densos. Both Frams are much heavier in construction.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: CR94

Appears to be much better. Weighs more and has a nice rubber gasket that runs the perimeter. The OE Denso is nothing special. Per UOA reports it lets a fair amount of dirt/silicon in. Even the Fram FreshBreeze is very nice. I'm in no hurry to go back to the cheaper quality yet more expensive Densos. Both Frams are much heavier in construction.
Thanks! That's useful info, although I belatedly realize I asked an oil filter question in an air filter forum. Sorry!

Examples of those UOA reports involving Denso AIR filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back