Will my motorcycle blow up overnight??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't want to run 10W-30 VR-1 in my BMW. But I did run a 50/50 mix of 10W-30 and 20W-50 for the last 3 5000 mile OCIs. All good. Oil is in the 40wt range after 5000 miles according to Blackstone.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
I didn't want to run 10W-30 VR-1 in my BMW. But I did run a 50/50 mix of 10W-30 and 20W-50 for the last 3 5000 mile OCIs. All good. Oil is in the 40wt range after 5000 miles according to Blackstone.

Your bike has separate oil for the engine and transmission, and a dry clutch. Whereas the OP's old Gixxer shares the oil for all three. The old Gixxer is much harder on oil.

OP, those old Gixxers were raced extensively back in the day. Most people ran the largest oil cooler they could fit, and ran 15w50 or 20w50. I get the impression you aren't racing your bike, but those bikes still run hot in street use. As I said previously, Suzuki approves of 20w50 down to 14°F. I doubt you'd want to ride when it's anywhere near that cold, anyway. But if you do, then I'd switch to a 10w40.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I've used conventional 20w50 Vr1 in my Harley's for several years. 3,000 mile OCI's. Three separate holes for engine, trans, and primary. My magnetic oil drain plug has no visible metal particles at all, not even a grey film on it. YMMV as Harley's don't have a shared sump. Let us know how it affects your clutch action.

That's what I use in the engine of my Dyna too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back