Whats the deal with used tractor prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are we talking about here? A Kubota? I know they have cheaper newer manfacturers like Mahindra, but I have no idea if they're any good. You could get a Kubota and still have a great tractor and get a good chunk of your money back in 20 years I would think .

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You might find a beat up Ford 9N for that budget. They are quite expensive new which keeps the used price up.
i guess a tractor is not in my future
frown.gif

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/grd/d/ford-9n-tractor/6206020200.html

For that kind of money, just rent ... They'll deliver on Friday afternoon and pick up Monday morning
smile.gif

I've been looking for a used Ford gasoline back-hoe. !950's and 60's. Can run where diesel is not allowed after Propane conversion. Have not found one running in 6 years for any price ...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What are we talking about here? A Kubota? I know they have cheaper newer manfacturers like Mahindra, but I have no idea if they're any good. You could get a Kubota and still have a great tractor and get a good chunk of your money back in 20 years I would think .

Kubota and Deere probably have the best resale.

Mahindra has been around for 70 years or so. Definitely not new to the game. My 3016 is actually a rebadged Mitsubishi with a US made KMW loader on it. It's heavier and has more loader and 3 point capacity than the Kubota, Deere, or Yanmar. Price was roughly the same but financing terms were a little better. Dealers are limited for Mahindra, but the tractor is awesome.

I really wanted a Deere 3032E, but they are lighter duty and the loader does not have quick disconnects.

I ended up going new because the used market is tough. Even 4 years ago when I bought mine and the economy was more favorable to the buyer. Everything I found for sale was either beat or within range of the price of a new unit.

I think when someone is looking for a tractor they are de facto saying that they have a need for one and land on which to use it. That means the buyer has money and that translates into upward pressure on price.

My friend used Tractorhouse.com with success. Look there.

I've run about 10 different pieces of Kubota equipment, mostly 36-80 HP tractors, with less than a hundred to almost 2000 hrs. on them, and they all seem like very solid machines. So I can understand the prices. It's not even like buying a 10 year old car with low mileage - the car can very possibly still cost you near its value in repairs in the next 5 years if you want to keep it nice. Not so with the tractor... and they're a machine that money can be made with, like dump trucks, commercial mowers, etc. so the price reflects that.

Last edited:
High prices is why my uncle keeps his 1951 Allis-Chalmers going. That tractor has been used to plow, rip, and disc various acreage every year for decades now. He lives down the dirt road from me, and comes up to prepare my garden every year. After the first plow, he just rips it every Spring, and then I finish the soil with a tiller. Probably time to plow it again because I have rocky red clay soil, and the compaction of the soil makes it rock hard.

10 years ago a new 50hp Kubota with several implements was $50k. Tractors in general are much more expensive than cars! Real tractors for farming and earth moving start at $250k. I'd consider anything under $10k a "beater" in the tractor world.

A lot of folks buy JD and Kubota new because they offer low interest, long term loans for them. Like said, this is something that will last you 25yrs and still be worth something.

This is going back 5-6yrs, but my FIL bought a new Kioti compact utility tractor for his work. It had a front end loader and rear mower attachments. It Was like $13K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
A lot of folks buy JD and Kubota new because they offer low interest, long term loans for them. Like said, this is something that will last you 25yrs and still be worth something.

This is going back 5-6yrs, but my FIL bought a new Kioti compact utility tractor for his work. It had a front end loader and rear mower attachments. It Was like $13K.

Yup. I can't think of anyone on both sides of my family that has "sold" their tractor. So, I say it is also a supply-side issue too. High demand, little supply. The fam has always bought new and used until they are beyond repair. Even then, they get retired to a barn and become a semi-communal parts item. Actually, they are going out of their way to keep some of the older JD tractors going. They are not fond of the newer JDs (right to repair folks).

My co-worker just bought a Mahindra. No concerns so far. They use it to repair their drive after each major rain-storm. No complaints. I do not think it would work on the farm very well, but for a "hobbyist/residential" tractor, they ain't bad.

How much work do you have to do and what kind of work is it?

My friend had a lot of yard work he needed done. Renting a machine would be $$ since he needed it for awhile. He bought an older (late 1970s?) John Deere 410 Backhoe for $7000. He owned it for 2 years, got all of his yard work done, and sold it for $7200.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I need a smaller tractor to do work around my house. Maybe I'm behind the times? Non running ones are in the $3-$4k and running ones with no implements are 2x that!

1960s Deeres and Olivers will often go for much more than that. Heck, 1950s Ford 8Ns come close to that still. Tractors hold their value better than any other motorized contraption with rubber tires that I can think of. I'd love to have an affordable one, also, but just dang. I think part of it is the fact that the modern crop of light duty tractors are both very expensive and made offshore or of largely offshore components.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
How much work do you have to do and what kind of work is it?

i have 10 acres I need to de-weed. Plus repairs to my mile long driveway. Both after rains and to get rid of the washboard in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back