What should be my next car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks, I have sold my CLK500, after a lot of thinking.
smile.gif

I am NOT in any kind of rush now to replace it, but still thinking what should be my next car? Would be nice to have sometime to read and research.

I am pretty much looking for a Japanese or a German( have not convinced myself for a pick up truck)
smile.gif

Preferably a 4-door/Sedan and maximum 10k, in terms of budget.

There's a deal everyday on CL and will start looking on it, once I have done all of my homework. So any thoughts? Maybe a Lexus or an Infiniti or an Acura or a BMW or a Diesel Mercedes?

Thanks for any of your input and help
smile.gif

One more thing, I prefer a used vehicle and preferably 6-10. Because of depreciation, so not looking for a brand new one
smile.gif

Not sure $6-10k and a car like a clk500 belong in the same sentence.
I get it that some of these cars command very low prices because of the high expense of repairs, but go too low and imo you're asking for problems.

I'd personally look for a late model w126 v8, or else an e34 v8 or m car with some wear and see what you get. I'm not sure they carry the premiums of SL or 2 door S-class cars, or of 3er or 7 series cars.

But I may be wrong.

I think an older Lexus LS might be neat, as would the early 2000s Lexus GS V8.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Not sure $6-10k and a car like a clk500 belong in the same sentence.
I get it that some of these cars command very low prices because of the high expense of repairs, but go too low and imo you're asking for problems.

I'd personally look for a late model w126 v8, or else an e34 v8 or m car with some wear and see what you get. I'm not sure they carry the premiums of SL or 2 door S-class cars, or of 3er or 7 series cars.

But I may be wrong.

I think an older Lexus LS might be neat, as would the early 2000s Lexus GS V8.
Believe it or not, I sold mine CLK in excellent condition for less than $7k and many of them are going for $5-$6k range. I like those Lexus, they are beautiful!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
...a pick up truck)
smile.gif

Preferably a 4-door/Sedan and maximum 10k, in terms of budget.

A wagon? (BMW, VW jetta/Passat gas/Diesel, Audi, ford focus, even some older merc, volvo....)

It's a truck with a cover and it already has 4-doors.....

Well there's what I drive, a 2008 Mercedes E-350. They're barely in the 10k range if the mileage is high. Early 2007s had the balance shaft problem but even after they fixed it, it still had a few minor engine problems that went away in 2008.

You could always buy a Phaeton.
wink.gif
I just sold mine for $9,500. They can be had for about half that, but it's a roll of the dice buying one without service history.

Your budget will buy you a nice E38 or E39.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Your budget will buy you a nice E38 or E39.

BMW E39 would be a fun ride.

My coworker just bought a 2014 Jetta 1.8T a week ago and it seems like a really nice car for the money. I was surprised how quiet it was inside.

Have you tried Japanese luxury yet? Lex/Acura/Infiniti?

That's where my money would be. Sure they might be priced a bit higher, but you'll have less chance of something breaking.

I agree that CL has some very good deals on depreciated, high end cars in the 8-10 price range. Ones that have been maintained well (usually dealer maintained).

Originally Posted By: MCompact
An E39 530i with three pedals and the Sport package is a wonderful car.

+1 and you won't have the timing chain guide issues that you could with the 540i.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: MCompact
An E39 530i with three pedals and the Sport package is a wonderful car.

+1

+2

Despite my occasional grumbling, after all these years, it's still my DD and has not given me a reason to seriously look for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back