The NEW HughesNet Gen5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have this satellite internet? Does it work good? I have to find a different option other than Century-link. They suck and I can only get 1/2mb download a sec where I live.

Last edited:
So do they bump the gen number up every 3 years to appear like they are a lot better now in desperation to gain new customers?

Were there any promotional pricing plans available on the satellite services when you looked around? I have aged relatives who could possibly use such a service. Thanks.

I called and you can get it bundled with Dish Network. Guy said its 10GB plan is like $64 a month. $5 off you plan for bundling so $59 a month. That's with leasing the router/modem for $14.99 month included in that price. The Gen 5 is guaranteed at least 25mb sec and up to 40 something mb sec. With leasing they come install everything for free typically within 1 day of signup. My Century link is unlimited but worthless. The guy told me after 10mb for the month it says its slower data after that but have never slowed his down. Said you can netflix and stuff as much as you want to. He also said if you play Xbox or PS online its not to good for that.

A relative is getting it installed August 2nd. It has to be put on a pole and the whole call the dig people thing is involved. So I don't know if it will be fully installed then or they show up and have to come back. I will re post results when it happens.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
I called and you can get it bundled with Dish Network. Guy said its 10GB plan is like $64 a month. $5 off you plan for bundling so $59 a month. That's with leasing the router/modem for $14.99 month included in that price. The Gen 5 is guaranteed at least 25mb sec and up to 40 something

Wow. There has been improvement since the last time I looked (prob 4 years ago). Both in cost and speed. It actually starts looking doable. Many thanks for your help, I'll definitely pass this along.

The physics of satellite communications haven't improved much. Even if your base station improves the satellites in service are the same as they have been.

The error correction algorithms etc are a compromise between performance and reliability. Marketing could tweak things one way or another.

If their user base is dwindling, due to people switching to cell service etc, they might have more bandwidth to offer "unlimited"... but watch them throttle it when they run out.

You cannot fix the propagation delay with a satellite of about 300ms up to the satellite.

It will not matter with an FTP or similar, but anything interactive will suffer.

Satellite is great for one way like DirectTV.

Satellite is terrible.. much better to go with some mobile data plan(cell phone provider)

I actually have 25GB of data on my AT&T plan that I use for mobil hot spot also. But my parents suffer from not much cell service. Only option they have is what they have now or satellite internet.

Originally Posted By: Honda2003
I actually have 25GB of data on my AT&T plan that I use for mobil hot spot also. But my parents suffer from not much cell service. Only option they have is what they have now or satellite internet.

Get a dedicated cellular antenna and repeater. You'll have to mount and aim a small YAGI antenna at the nearest cell tower.

Well she didn't get it installed till yesterday evening. I will report back how its doing once all the updates and stuff are done. They told us to give it 24hrs.

Friend of mine has it in upstate new york. It may be a gen4 since he has had it for a few months. Very happy with it. Gets 12-25meg. After you go over the cap its throttled but still usable for general web surfing.

If you want to talk to people who have actual experience with the service check out the hughes forum on dslreports.
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/hughes

Last edited:
Well I finally got the Gen 5 installed almost 2 weeks ago. Im very happy with it. Its 45mb/s everytime i check it. It works great
Now im wondering how the phone service is they provide for $24.95 A month. So i can tell ceturylink to cram it all together.

VoIP via satellite will not be good. The latency makes it hard to converse. It will be like when someone is interviewed via satellite on TV.

Time to upgrade some satellites. Oh wait, we don't have a Shuttle anymore. (I know, the one shot rockets are cheaper and so is farming out launch to pvt's like SpaceX etc.) But we still need a replacement for the shuttle. It was nice being #1 in space... while it lasted.

Satellite will always have delays for any thing interactive which includes VOIP. Nothing can be done about that given where the satellites orbit. For streaming or FTP they should be fine. Also poor for VPN.

Given I have pixelating when is snows or rains hard with DirectTV, I assume Hughes will have issues also during storms.

For now, nothing beats FIOS.

My assumption is wireless will be built out more and HughesNet will be history.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back