Real synthetic ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a true synthetic 0w20 dexos1 oil out there?? None of this fake group III stuff. Have a 2017 5.3L

I have to chuckle.
The car mags take junkyard 5.3s with 150,000 miles, slap on a Chinese turbo, and keep cranking up the boost to 700 hp and it doesn't blow.
And this guy is worried about Group III vs IV and V.

We are fortunate to get GIII/GIV/GV blends for $25 a 5 qt jug ... enjoy the $50/gallon lube

Last edited:
Do you really believe it makes a difference?

Even oils like German Castrol or Amsoil Signature that have large percentages of Group IV base oil use group II and/or group III in their formulation because they hold onto the additive package better than Group IV or V.

I'll run my "blends" of group III, IV, and V all year long and know I'll never see an oil related failure.

.... on Amsoil website - found the comments on Dexos to be strange - like is it or they say?
OP requested Dexos ...

Heard that - got $12/gallon Delvac 1300 in my 5.3L - what expensive super juice will protect it better?

Red Line, Motul, and Liqui-Moly should have something you like. Plus, the L-Moly is either available at your local Napa, or they can order it for you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dabo72
Worried?????

I have to "chuckle" at that

Just another day with OCD on BITOG.

The OP should change all fluids out at 1,500 miles....."just to be sure!"

You could use the cheapest Dexos 0w-20 available and run it for the full length of the OLM (which on the 5.3s is about ~7500 in ideal conditions) and get 300k plus out of that motor. What more are you looking for in a "true" synthetic?

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
I have to chuckle.
The car mags take junkyard 5.3s with 150,000 miles, slap on a Chinese turbo, and keep cranking up the boost to 700 hp and it doesn't blow.
And this guy is worried about Group III vs IV and V.

No kidding. It's a gosh darn Chevy. It'll run on salad dressing, let alone group III synthetics.

None of this fake group 3 stuff...LOL..i guess all the major companies are just pulling the wool over our eyes....

You wont benefit from a "real synthetic." Pay double for what perceived benefit?

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
You could use the cheapest Dexos 0w-20 available and run it for the full length of the OLM (which on the 5.3s is about ~7500 in ideal conditions) and get 300k plus out of that motor. What more are you looking for in a "true" synthetic?

This post does not belong on BITOG! It makes too much sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back