New job offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked 37 years for one company as a residential HVAC Service Tech then moved to another company as a commercial HVAC Service Tech. One of our customers has offered me a position in their maintenance dept. It would be a little bit better salary and much better benefits. The down side is that they would no longer need the company I work for now because I would be covering that. What do you think ? What would you do ?

As long as job security is good, go for it. My salary isn't the best but I have the best benefits and job security is practically guaranteed that's all i need (at the moment)

Originally Posted By: SilverGt
I worked 37 years for one company as a residential HVAC Service Tech then moved to another company as a commercial HVAC Service Tech. One of our customers has offered me a position in their maintenance dept. It would be a little bit better salary and much better benefits. The down side is that they would no longer need the company I work for now because I would be covering that. What do you think ? What would you do ?

How about going back to your company, telling them you've had an offer from another company (don't say which), and asking them what they can do to match it?

That's a crazy long time to be with one employer and then leave for another, but you've got to do what's right for you. FWIW, some of my best co-workers were former HVAC Techs. We love to hire them if/when we can find them.

What is your current employer charging your prospective employer for their service/contract? And what are they offering to pay you, salary + benefits?

Be cautious of them going the 'lowest bidder' route per se and your neck could be chopped if they can get the work cheaper after poaching you from your current employer, leaving you high and dry.

What benefits are they offering? I don't know your age but I am assuming late 50s if you spent 37 years at your first employer. I am assuming that you are close enough to retirement that any retirement benefits aren't all that valuable given your possible age. Health insurance is obviously nice but will it be available to you in retirement from the new employer?

So many unknowns it is hard to make a recommendation. Not to mention telling your current employer about the offer could make problems between your employer and this client.

Id go to the company that made you an offer and ask them for a higher salary to make it worth it. Highlight your experience and why you believe you are worth it. See what they say but go in knowing if you will still accept it if they say no.

Make sure you have not signed a non compete clause.

In IT it's quite common. If I work for a consulting company the client company cannot easily hire me from the consulting company.

This is exactly what happened to me with my current job. The company I used to work for was doing work for them pretty much every day, and I was usually the one doing it. They decided to move that work in house and they approached me and offered me the job. They offered me better pay and benefits, and it's just all around a better company to work for. There was no way I could pass it up. I didn't feel at all guilty about taking the work away from my former employer, because they would have been losing the work whether I took the job or not. If I didn't take the job, they would have found someone else.

Are you about 10 yrs from retirement?

The problem with going to a private company is that you will stagnate to a certain degree,
You don't see as much equipment and kinda get left behind what's happening in the industry.
If your in the fall of your career and don't intend to go back to the real world you'll be ok.

On the positive side you can control your own workload. Keep up your PM's and life is stress free and easy.
You can generally take vacation anytime of the year. Benefits can be real nice.
Doubt if you'll have time to build up a great retirement, but every little bit counts.

Getting away from customers is always a plus.
Corporate games a minus.

If you are a really good tech you may lack some of the people skills others have.
But as always, they lack technical skills.... but seem to rise quicker.
Have smoke blown up your rear must feel really good.

Again, if you are toward the end of your working life, upward growth may not be important.

Although it isn't exactly your situation, "contract-to-hire" happens quite often so this isn't anything new. You just have to figure out if:

1. You can actually do this legally (Donald mentioned the non compete clause)
2. It'll be the right move

Just remember that the way your client currently treats you (as an outsider) won't necessarily be how they treat you if you go onboard with them. The relationship will change in certain ways.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Make sure you have not signed a non compete clause.

In IT it's quite common. If I work for a consulting company the client company cannot easily hire me from the consulting company.

That's what came to my mind first...

Would the new job keep you tied down to one location all the time ?

That might get boring after awhile; not sure though.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Would the new job keep you tied down to one location all the time ?

That might get boring after awhile; not sure though.

This is a good point. Also, boss is around you all the time. Will you be losing a company vehicle?

millennials don't work and live in parents basement.

Originally Posted By: HondaRULZ

millennials don't work and live in parents basement.

????????

It would seem to me that you're close to retirement. Does current employer have a pension that you might lose? There will be a lot of changes in your daily job life that you are obviously comfortable with now, and that will change. I don't know about you, but I hate change. New people, new attitudes, new locations..etc.etc. I'd go to current employer and see if they'd match, but if you do that, be prepared to pick up the stakes if they say no, because they got you over a barrel if you don't go to the other company after asking them. They will also view you as a traitor and you might start catching some kraph in the aftermath.

I checked and there are no legal problems accepting this job offer. There isn't any retirement benefits where I'm at now but there would be if I accept the new job. I know I don't have a lot of years till retirement for it to be of great benefit but every bit helps. I would be loosing a company truck but I will only have a 10 mile max country road commute and that includes between two facilities.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I'd take the new job.

I'm surprised you worked for a company for so long without any retirement benefits.

Very, very few companies have pension plans anymore-if that's what your referring to.

One needs to plan for their own retirement-then any additional funds on top of that (Social Security, pensions, etc.) is gravy.

I have a friend who was an airline pilot back in the day for a major airline that filed bankruptcy. He ended up with 30% of his pension.

The only sure money is your own money.

I had no pension-I retired at 55 years of age. I intend to file for Social Security at 62-I want my money before that goes belly up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back