Roller compacted concrete driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I are about to start having a house built, but we still have a few details to work out. The builder said we could save some money if we opted
for a roller compacted concrete driveway vs conventional concrete. He stated it's something that requires some flexibility when it can be done because it's typically put down when the company is doing a commercial project that day somewhere else. The driveway is going to be 208' long by 10' wide. Any knowledge or opinions of it will be
greatly appreciated.

That's cool - I know we used to consider fly ash a great addition for strength retrogression in lower density cement blends ...

A guy that I know in the industry has made quite an attractive roadbase from crushed red brick, fly ash, blast furnaec slag and some soluble silicate and alkali...laid down, after it's first summer it was 20MPa+

Awesome (for the Yanks that's around 2900 psi compressive strength) - and sounds like a fair amount of recycling too - done the right way ...

I used it around the farm buildings and on my folks drive. Another plus is that if left unbound, just packed, it will let water run right through. Bit of sun in the winter will burn the ice and become dry. If one can get some with a bit of asphalt it binds very well

Originally Posted By: bioburner
I used it around the farm buildings and on my folks drive. Another plus is that if left unbound, just packed, it will let water run right through. Bit of sun in the winter will burn the ice and become dry. If one can get some with a bit of asphalt it binds very well

First off, I know almost nothing about concrete.
But it strikes me that water running through concrete and a sudden hard frost would surely damage it?. Can someone enlighten me please?.

Claud

Concrete gets cracked when the water can't escape and puddles. As long was the water has a way of escaping, you should be good to go.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Concrete gets cracked when the water can't escape and puddles. As long was the water has a way of escaping, you should be good to go.

Thanks, I get it now!.
smile.gif

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back