Software updates for Nexus 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Nexus 6 has not gotten updates for awhile and the patch date is March 2017. It's at level 7.0.

Any easy way to update it? Would like the latest patch that has to do with WiFi intrusion.

I am planning on buying Pixel 2 in a few months but need the Nexus phone to operate properly until then.

It was purchased via Amazon not from Google. On network Project Fi.

The nexus 6 is unsupported after October 2016

You might get a security patch but that is it.

In march they downgraded from 7.1 to 7.0 because 7.1 was causing issues.

if you are having issues factory reset the phone because that downgrade itself
caused issues.

So what is the support period on android phone models? IMO phones should be supported for at least ten years after release. It's like a new phone comes out, then next year a new model, and they drop your support.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
So what is the support period on android phone models? IMO phones should be supported for at least ten years after release. It's like a new phone comes out, then next year a new model, and they drop your support.

The hardware changes too rapidly for 10 years..

that would be like saying make windows 10 run on a pentium pro.

I do agree there should be better security patch management and distribution.

The nexus 6 came out in 2014 I believe its guaranteed 2 years of updates min.

10 years lmao. I don't even want to know what most people's cell phones would look like after 10 years.

Apple is the golden standard for phone support and even their life cycle ends at 5 years.

2 years OS support and another year of security updates seems reasonable to me.

I'm on a 3 year old LG G3 right now that's still supported with a custom ROM (LineageOS) so there are options to get even more OS support for old Android phones.

With a functioning phone and super low risk thing like wifi intrusion unless you live in apartment/condo or city coupled to getting a new phone soon I'd wait it out and "risk" it and stick with what you got.

Pure android (Nexus, Pixel) phones have the best follow-on support out of any android device.

Apple updates their device to detriment, imho.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Pure android (Nexus, Pixel) phones have the best follow-on support out of any android device.

Apple updates their device to detriment, imho.

Motorola is pretty good too (unlocked versions at least). Any locked Android phone is an update joke as it totally relies on the network and manufacturer to provide updates, and all they want you to do is get a new phone every two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back