KTM Rimula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Here in Europe we don't have Shell Rotella oils, we have Rimula instead. I have 2 KTM fourstroke Motorcycles, and I wonder if I can use the Shell Rimula 6 LM oil in them. It is not rated JASO MA, and it is not rated for gasoline purpose.

I did use it regulary in all my KTM 2 strokes all the time with no problems, so I can state that it meets the JASO MA standard, because the clutch had absolutely no problem working in that oil. But I'm a little worried how it will perform in lubricating the piston and head on a four stroke.

I have access to a bunch of Shell Rimuala oils for trucks for almost free and the 6 LM being the top as it is full synt 10W-40. I need a lot of oil changes on those two KTM's, so I really need your opinion on this matter.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Bitog! Thank you for the Rimula info on the motorcycle service.

In Europe commercial oils aren't rated for petrol engines, but common sense goes long way.

Thanks for quick replyes!

The viscosity is not in range. The viscosity for the 2 stroke by KTM manual is 15W-50, but I had no problem running the Rimula 6 LM with the viscosity 10W-40 in the 2 stroke.

For the 4 stroke the viscosity by KTM manual is 10W-50. Now, I know the Rimula viscosity is not right at 10W-40, but so many people run the same motorcycle with the Rotella 15W-40 and Rotella 5W-40 withought any problems. So....

"Rimula"
lol.gif

Sorry that's all I got

Aloha
smile.gif

So you are using 4t oil in 2strokes
confused.gif
Or you wanted to say that 2strokes have a separate gearbox sump?

Last edited:
And instead of RM I would rather be using M version since M is full SAPS one (more Zinc and Phosphorous for your gearbox)

KTM 2 strokes have oil for gearbox/clutch. There I use Rimula. For the MIX I use specific oil for 2 stroke premix.

Yes...M is full SAPS ACEA CI-4

RM is for aftertreatment systems (DPF... SCR)...and therefore has less ZDDP aditives

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this information!

I did some research and I have became worried about the viscosity not being right. I have the KTM 350 EXC and it have a delicate head design.

Maybe I should use the oil with prescribed viscosity 10W-50 and forget about the Rimula 10W-40.

What is your opinion about this?

Originally Posted By: tdm850
Maybe I should use the oil with prescribed viscosity 10W-50 and forget about the Rimula 10W-40.

What is your opinion about this?

I concur. Why make a point of deliberately using the 'wrong' oil specification AND viscosity? Why not just go with the recommendation?

Also, on the SAPS thing mentioned above, HD oils are different to car oils when it comes to what is defined as "low SAPS". Even the R6 LM has a sulphated ash at 0.9% and a TBN around 10, which is plenty.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
What his gearbox cares off is ZDDP content...not TBN and sa level...

A decent motorcycle oil will have a good dose of ZDDP plus the benefits of a shear stable polymer and performance-appropriate detergents. I've just looked up the data of a common MCO: ~1,000 ppm P, 1.2% ash. And this comes in the right viscosity with appropriate API and JASO performance.

Like I said, why expend so much time and effort to get an oil so far from the recommended type?

Because HDEO costs 5-6euros/Liter....

MCO with similar properties is around 15-25euros/Liter

Only because it has "motocycle" written on a package...

How much does a KTM cost exactly?
Wrong spec and low viscosity... not a great recipe I'd have to say.
At least find an S rated oil. Many HDEO's ARE dual rated around here, too.
I know, I have used them.

Thanks for all the replyes.

I finally settled down to fullsynt motorcycle specific oil Castrol 10W-50.

But just because of the viscosity issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back