Miles or Time for 5 speed manual gear lube change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed with 31000 miles on it. Do I need to change the gear lube in it ? Changed to synthetic in the rear end at 15,000 miles. If I do what do you think of GL4 redline synthetic ? Thanks for the help

Redline is supposed to be one of the best. You could change it or not. I never changed my old Mazda transmission fluid at all in the 115k I had it and my truck got changed at 238k for probably the first time. I'll probably change the oil on my new Mazda at 100k miles.

you dont need to change it...but i would have changed it fairly soon after new, just because of break in. i would install redline of the correct weight for sure. seems they really have it together for gearbox lubes. 50k-100k is probably a good interval afterward.
ive installed the appropriate redline in my fusions and my f150s gearboxes...been very impressed.

Originally Posted By: mtlineman
I have an 06 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed with 31000 miles on it.

WOW, you don't drive it much?

I change often, but only because all my manual transmissions are operated at peak torque rating about 50% of the time.

Gear oil doesn't go bad sitting idle in the gearcase. Myself, I wouldn't drain it now unless it had water contaimination or was pulling a heavy load all the time.

Last edited:
If it has gray wear particles present in 31k miles, there's bigger issues going on other than gear oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I would drain it and replace it with:

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=45&pcid=7

Excellent choice.
thumbsup2.gif

It's going in my Toyota five speed soon.

Redline a Phillips 66 brand now?

Originally Posted By: Lubener
If it has gray wear particles present in 31k miles, there's bigger issues going on other than gear oil.

Ex wife did terrible things to cars. I wish I had photos of the [censored] I got out of that transmission...

'08 Tacoma 5-speed M/T 4x4. Front differential & Transfer Mobil-1 75W-90, Rear end Amsoil 75W-110 and Transmission: Redline MT-90 (75W-90).

I didn't answer the question: Changed differential fluids, transmission & transfer all at 15,000 & again at 90K. 15K rear end fluid was nasty, front end certainly ready for a change, trans. & transfer fluids looked new. All 4 components' fluids looked fine at 90,000, but were changed anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back