Spray wax on interior surfaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this being done by a detailer online. He mentions using spray wax on interior panels,hard plastics,and dashboards. What does everyone think of that?

I've never tried it but, I would think that any spray wax on interior surfaces would cause fading/chalking/hazing like putting wax on flat black surfaces. It's a NO-NO!.

I am having a hard time with this.

Products are formulated to work with specific types of materials.

I can not believe that all interior plastic materials will work well with all exterior spray waxes.

I'm no detailer but I've seen a spray car wash product in a bottle used on interior bits and certain dashboards but not the kind of spray wax product I think you're referring to....like Griot's, Mothers, etc. I believe the premise of using the car wash in the bottle vs. the spray wax is that there's little or no smear that can be both built on and become hard to remove.

To me, it would be interesting to see how much the spray wax would differ from using a waxy, greasy product like Endust over time. I would really hesitate to use it.

Spray WAX inside the car? bad idea.

Spray synthetic/sealant inside the car? Meh... might work, but IMHO not your best option.

Spray protectant, like Aerospace 303, on interior trim/plastics? Absolutely.

Use what's most appropriate.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Spray WAX inside the car? bad idea.

Spray synthetic/sealant inside the car? Meh... might work, but IMHO not your best option.

Spray protectant, like Aerospace 303, on interior trim/plastics? Absolutely.

Use what's most appropriate.

I think that's what he used,a synthetic spray wax that contains no carnauba. Meguiars maybe?

If it was Meguiars, then it was probably something like Megs Ultimate Quik Wax, which is a 'clear' synthetic spray "wax" (really a sealant), which is also essentially the same thing as Megs D156 (same product but with a different scent).

I use D156, and while I would agree that it probably COULD be used on interior plastics/trim... I would never use it this way. IMHO, it shines (forgive the pun) as a regular weekly spray wax topper on the paint, and should be used for this purpose. Aerospace 303 works amazingly well as an interior protectant on dash/plastic/trim, so I can't see using D156 in place of it...

... Just as I would NEVER use Aerospace 303 on my paint.

I think FastEddie on here has mentioned this idea and he's a professional detailer. Not sure if he used the Megs Ultimate Detailer or the Spray wax. The detailer has some cleaning ability and some protectants. But the pure wax seems like a bit much. Kind of skeptical using products this way, for their unintended use.

He details prob hundreds of cars per year so he looks at things differently than the hobbyist detailer.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I saw this being done by a detailer online. He mentions using spray wax on interior panels,hard plastics,and dashboards. What does everyone think of that?

There are very few products that you could use on painted surfaces and interior plastics. The last thing I would want is a greasy or wet/shiny finish on something like a dashboard.

Just use the right product for the job.

I've used Megs D156 on some various finishes including matte bicycle frames and shot peened ano aluminum as well as painted plastics. I'm sure it would work just fine but I don't see the advantage over a product like 303 or Megs M40.

I've heard of quick detail sprays being diluted and used as interior products. Another is Optimums washless product called No Rinse. It is being diluted down and used for interiors.

If it was Meguiars, then it was probably something like Megs Ultimate Quik Wax, which is a 'clear' synthetic spray "wax" (really a sealant), which is also essentially the same thing as Megs D156 (same product but with a different scent).

I use D156, and while I would agree that it probably COULD be used on interior plastics/trim... I would never use it this way. IMHO, it shines (forgive the pun) as a regular weekly spray wax topper on the paint, and should be used for this purpose. Aerospace 303 works amazingly well as an interior protectant on dash/plastic/trim, so I can't see using D156 in place of it...

Would you recommend Megs Ultimate Quik Wax OVER the top of a Megs Carnuba paste wax or better to skip the Carnuba?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I've never tried it but, I would think that any spray wax on interior surfaces would cause fading/chalking/hazing like putting wax on flat black surfaces. It's a NO-NO!.

How can the white hazing from Carnuba paste wax be removed from exterior black plastics?

Thanks

Not trying to steal the thread but what is the difference between interior cleaners and conditioners? They all mainly seem to be the the same thing. Both say they clean and protect...
Is one more for cleaning and vice versa?

It's on the internet so it must be true?

Personally, I would not try it. The person making that video is probably laughing at all the attention he or she got.

I'm not sure about spray wax, but I recently used ONR for cleaning up the interior and it came out great.
Also, I think the spray waxes or quick detailers are probably more sealants than actual waxes that come in a paste from.
If they don't stain/deform the exterior plastics, why should they do different on the interior plastics?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

How can the white hazing from Carnuba paste wax be removed from exterior black plastics?

Thanks

Try something like dish soap or rubbing alcohol.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Would you recommend Megs Ultimate Quik Wax OVER the top of a Megs Carnuba paste wax or better to skip the Carnuba?

Thanks

When you say Megs Carnauba paste wax, I'm guessing you mean Gold Class... is that true? If this is the case, the UQW would certainly help extend the life of the Carnauba wax, although this combination would not be as good as it would if you used something like Megs Ultimate Paste Wax, or NXT 2.0 Wax first, both of which are synthetic "waxes" or sealants, and have much better longevity and durability.

Either way, you're better off putting down SOME kind of true wax/sealant base over the paint first, before you use the UQW. I frequently use Meguiars NXT 2.0 Paste Wax as my base. Its durability is not the best, but the UQW helps me easily get 6 months out of it, since I use it after every wash.

Interior products are made for the interior and exterior for the exterior. Long story short is it might work but isn't over all a great idea. I have seen youtubes of people using scrubbing bubbles on interiors. "Detailers" use all sorts of things. It is like cops, all you hear about are the bad ones but there are a lot of good ones out there, just less publicized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back