Roofing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leak in one area of my roof. A co-worker recommended FlexSeal tape.
They also have the spray on in a can.

Has anyone tried this or can give some advice on other options?
Thanks in advance

Oh come on. Mickey Mouse.

What kind of roof construction? and is the leak near a Gable end or dormer or Punch through?

I just spent 10's of thousands of dollars over the past decade to fix a BAD roof leak ( on my log cabin) only for ME to find ( not "expert" carpenters) a poorly sealed chimney liner at the cap.

The stuff works very well for EDPM roofs on a lot of campers. I have resurfaced and repaired three camper roofs since February. I suspect you have a asphalt shingle roof though.
Most asphalt roofs with leaks are in my experience are from around vents and chimneys.

Depends on where the leaks are?
Most of the time, all it needs is the roof caulk which is usually used under the flashing and to cover the exposed nails.

So you have to determine the source of the leaks.
In reality, somebody have to go up there on the roof and see what can be done.
I suggest to find a roofing professional if you are not comfortable going up on the roof.
The hospital bill of an accident will be more than the price you pay the pro to fix it.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
The stuff works very well for EDPM roofs on a lot of campers. I have resurfaced and repaired three camper roofs since February.

With which product?

Another area to consider is ridge vents. I recently troubleshot an odd leak in my sister-in-law's $700K, couple year old mansion. Nightmare roof. Tons of peaks, valleys, etc. It's coming in through a ridge vent. During certain driving wind and rain, it blows right in. I found where the previous owner (and builder) tried to band-aid this area of ridge vent by filling it with spray foam! SIL/BIL can afford to have it fixed right at some point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GGorman04
I have a leak in one area of my roof. A co-worker recommended FlexSeal tape.
They also have the spray on in a can.

Has anyone tried this or can give some advice on other options?
Thanks in advance

I used the spray for something that was somewhat protected from the weather. Wore off in 3 months. Carp in my book.

Flex tape or any of the dozens of rubber roof repair kits using mesh/liquid sealant. Even with the Flex Tape I would still put a sealant around that as well.

I was a hot tar roofer for 1.5 years and my dad for 30+. We always used a bucket of roof mastic and a roll of fiberglass fabric to seal the flashing's. The mastic is a tarry fibrous goop you apply with a small trowel. You can mash it over strips of the fabric to give it some strength covering over small voids. You can get it at home depot and it will last years if you do it right. That stuff in a can is TV-Junk.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The stuff works very well for EDPM roofs on a lot of campers. I have resurfaced and repaired three camper roofs since February.

With which product?

Cofair Products UBW425 Ultra bond, from Amazon but available from some home improvement stores, overpriced from camper supply.
The roof coating I used to recoat three roofs, Dehco 16-46128-4,rubber roof coating and came from 4Wheel online via Amazon $50/G

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
I was a hot tar roofer for 1.5 years and my dad for 30+. We always used a bucket of roof mastic and a roll of fiberglass fabric to seal the flashing's. The mastic is a tarry fibrous goop you apply with a small trowel. You can mash it over strips of the fabric to give it some strength covering over small voids. You can get it at home depot and it will last years if you do it right. That stuff in a can is TV-Junk.

Second that.

There is professional stuff you can buy that is EPDM compatible. I have a roll of peel and patch.

The hard part is finding the leak. Drains, stinkpipe and AC punch throughs are common leakers.

You should have and inside ladder up to a penthouse. Watch out for dead pidgeons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
With which product?

Cofair Products UBW425 Ultra bond, from Amazon but available from some home improvement stores, overpriced from camper supply.
The roof coating I used to recoat three roofs, Dehco 16-46128-4,rubber roof coating and came from 4Wheel online via Amazon $50/G

EXCELLENT, Thank you!

the last thing you want to do use a mastic on a rubber roof. get some eturna bond, or [censored]. or get a gaco rubber roof patch and roll it on after proper prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back