Need opinions on selling my car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have a 2005 Impala (see sig) that I'm thinking about offloading, but I'm looking for opinions here on this.

The car is used to get around town. My wife drives it currently, and it gets around 10-15 miles put on it a day. I've been taking care of it, trying to make it last as long as possible. Our current plan is to get me through college (I graduate in December) and pay off as much of our new Elantra as possible before taking on another car payment.

Over the last year I've done a coolant flush, replaced radiator/cap/thermostat/water pump, serviced the transmission and installed a shift kit (it has the P1811 problem) and put new cheap-o tires on it. While that's a lot of maintenance done, I'm still concerned about the P1811 code (although the shifting has improved dramatically since I serviced the transmission) and I'm worried about the intake manifold leaking (a really common issues with this engine). I figure if it develops the leak, that'll be the end of the road for us with the car.

With that in mind, I found a listing on craigslist for a 2001 Lexus ES300 (189k miles) that looks like it's in comparable condition (pretty good) inside/outside as our Impala. It also is listed for right around what I can sell my Impala for. Now, this has the sludge monster engine, but these cars are also pretty well-known for lasting a long time. The Lexus has new-ish tires, all belts including timing belt replaced within the last 10k miles with the camshaft actuator and water pump replaced at the same time (they have the receipt for the work).

All that said, would you side with keeping the Impala or purchasing the Lexus and selling the Impala?

Thanks!

You know the history on the Impala, what you've done and what to look out for. I'd keep it and skip the hassle of the unknown with the Lexus. IMO, Drive it until it won't go anymore, then replace it. In the mean time, save up for something used.

Since your Impala has some known issues it's probably not worth much. Our 2010 Impala with 121K miles has similar issues and we've also been limping it along. I looked at selling it and getting something newer a few months back, but it's only worth like $2400 good retail. Deduct some for disclosing it possibly having future issues due to current symptoms, (having a conscious and all) and it's maybe a $1500-1700 car.

Not worth the hassle, just drive it until it's not worth fixing IMO. That point for us will be when the transmission dies in ours.

I'd keep the Impala. You said you've taken care of it and you know its history. Any used car is full of unknowns.

That crossed my mind - hang on until gainfully employed and get something newer/nicer then ...

As far as I know, the intake gasket problem on the 3.1, 3.4 and 3.8 engines were resolved during the 2003 model year. If your car had the problem, you would have known by now.
I would keep the Impala.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Yeah, I recognize I'm going with an older car that can also have problems, but it's not exactly a secret that an older Toyota/Lexus is much more reliable than an older Chevy Impala.

I suppose it would be prudent to just keep it and save up for if/when it blows up. I'll probably just stay the course. The good thing about an older, less reliable car is that there's a TON of youtube videos out there for the repairs!
lol.gif

I would 100% sell that chevy and buy a toyota\lexus....but I would personally try to trade up. Get something either newer or with less miles. Ive never had to do anything major on any of my toyotas I have owned and they all have high mileage.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
You know the history on the Impala, what you've done and what to look out for. I'd keep it and skip the hassle of the unknown with the Lexus. IMO, Drive it until it won't go anymore, then replace it. In the mean time, save up for something used.

This. Whenever you buy something used, there is always the potential that you are buying someone else's problem. Better the devil you know than the one you don't in a lot of cases. Obviously once the Impala requires more maintenance/repairs than makes financial sense to keep on the road, that is when it is time to dump it.

Never are you further ahead to sell your car and get another used car. People like to look at cars like houses and other stuff, that I ll put more money in than it's worth is bad, I need to trade when in reality that car, brand new will never recover value- period. So you always chasing a fantasy investment, when it is really just a car and transportation. What you should be looking at it as is transportation and I can fix this and continue to drive it for less per mile then buying another. People get new cars and other cars because they are bored or sick of the car.
It's never a smart value move.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TmanP
I'd keep the Impala. You said you've taken care of it and you know its history. Any used car is full of unknowns.

+1

The best used car is the one you already own.

Unless you are considering at least 3-4 years newer, I can't see the point of changing cars.

If you are looking to buy a Toyota, why not a 4 cylinder 2003-2006 Camry. Can get them cheap. My dad's 06 has 200k on it with nothing but oil changes and brakes and 2 coolant flushes. No lie.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
So, I have a 2005 Impala .....(it has the P1811 problem)....and I'm worried about the intake manifold leaking (a really common issues with this engine). ....Now, this has the sludge monster engine

I hate these cars. Everyone I work on is pure JUNK.
Sell it NOW while it still runs.

Originally Posted By: Huie83
Drive it until it won't go anymore, then replace it.

NO!!!!!

Sell it NOW while it still runs!

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
If you are looking to buy a Toyota, why not a 4 cylinder 2003-2006 Camry. Can get them cheap. My dad's 06 has 200k on it with nothing but oil changes and brakes and 2 coolant flushes. No lie.

^ This.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm not saying they're perfect by any means but you would be increasing the reliability factory by quite a bit by doing this. Dump the Impala while it still has some value. The moment the engine, trans or other major problem hits it goes straight to the crusher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back