205/50R17 for 2013 Mazda5 Touring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

My front tires are getting long in the tooth on my 2013 Mazda5 Touring.
Stock size is 205/50/R17.

What are good offers now on the market?

Thank you

Do you drive in snow? If so, do you have room for a second set of cheapo wheels with winter tires?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Do you drive in snow? If so, do you have room for a second set of cheapo wheels with winter tires?

Drive in snow , yes (Chicago area)
second set.... with apartment living.....

-Nokian eNTYRE All-Season Radial Tire
-Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring Radial Tire

How are them?

(Is Nokian capable of mild winter driving?)

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Got it. In that case, two good options:

- Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06
- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (preferably the Y-rated version)

...(preferably the Y-rated version)

Thank you for the suggestions

This is the mom-mobile.

I don't think it will see more then 70-80mph in vacation trips.

Average on the roads we are traveling is 40mph, with some residential (10-20 mph) thrown in....

Last edited:
-Nokian eNTYRE All-Season Radial Tire
-Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring Radial Tire

How are them?

(Is Nokian capable of mild winter driving?)

In the snow, I'd trust a Nokian tire over its competition from any other brand. The only catch is that the better a tire is in snow, the worse it is in almost all other conditions (i.e. the VAST majority of your miles).

I'm assuming you live in a reasonably well-plowed area and can afford to stay home on the rare days when there's deep snow or ice on the road. On that assumption, the best you can do is to focus on grip and safety in dry, wet, cold, and lightly snowy conditions. If you're going to sacrifice anything, it should be deep snow performance; it comes with the biggest trade-offs in other areas, and isn't relevant except in conditions that rarely come up and can usually be avoided.

If that assumption is wrong in any way, and you absolutely cannot figure out how to store a second set of wheels for winter, then get the Nokian WRG3. I don't think anything on the US market will be better.

Cooper is fine. I just don't see a reason to choose it when there are other options that are so much better.

...(preferably the Y-rated version)

Thank you for the suggestions

This is the mom-mobile.

I don't think it will see more then 70-80mph in vacation trips.

Average on the roads we are traveling is 40mph, with some residential (10-20 mph) thrown in....

Fair enough. It's an excellent tire either way.

Generally, it's better to get the highest possible speed rating even if you never approach it, because on average the tire will tend to be better balanced and more resilient.

Got it. In that case, two good options:

- Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (preferably the Y-rated version)

OP, so these tires will be driven in snow? Your response is cryptic. I live in a condo and have four sets of tires for both my cars.

I would never want to use A/S3+ in the snow again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
OP, so these tires will be driven in snow? Your response is cryptic. I live in a condo and have four sets of tires for both my cars.

I would never want to use A/S3+ in the snow again.

Yes (snow driving)
Chicago area does not really gets pounded with snow (I lived here 11 years and got 2 snowstorms)
Also they are pretty good on cleaning the roads, even with the bad winter traffic....
we downgraded from a house to a condo, so with small kids stuff everywhere, not really much extra storage....

much appreciated for the safety warnings.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Probably the best all-season tire if driving in snow is required is the Nokian WRG3 IMHO.
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-weather-tires/nokian-wrg3/

How did you know I was about to post the exact thing?
The Nokian WRG3 is technically an "All-Weather" tire, which actually has a meaning. It means it has strong winter qualities while still acting like a normal all-season tire in the summer. Its the best technology for a true cold-climate, year around tire. Yes, get the WRG3 if you don't want to change to special snow tires every friggin' 6 months, a pain in the tookus.

We have a 2012 Mazda 5 Sport and I replaced my tires with some Westlake tires from taiwan. I can't believe how well they are working on it. Had Goodyear Eagles on it and these are far better for noise and traction. I can't tell if the road is even wet. We didn't have much snow this last year, but they had no problem with the snow we had.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
We have a 2012 Mazda 5 Sport and I replaced my tires with some Westlake tires from taiwan. I can't believe how well they are working on it. ...

Surprised, most of the reviews are putting them down as out of round.

Thanks for the mazda5 info.

Just had some Nokain eNTYRES put on last week. Purchased off of Amazon. 700 treadwear rating, traction A, Temp A, has built in tread wear indicators that start off at 8 mm and count down from there. The lower numbers are cut deeper into the center tread. As each number wears away you know how much tread is left. There's a warning symbol at the 4 mm mark. Never seen this before.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Just had some Nokain eNTYRES put on last week. Purchased off of Amazon. 700 treadwear rating, traction A, Temp A, has built in tread wear indicators that start off at 8 mm and count down from there. The lower numbers are cut deeper into the center tread. As each number wears away you know how much tread is left. There's a warning symbol at the 4 mm mark. Never seen this before.

on the Camry or the Matrix? (Matrix would come closer to the ride type my Mazda5 has)

On the Matrix, all the specs on the tire are very good. Even the load rating is 94 XL.

Camry has the General RT43 T rated, similar specs except the temp rating is a B.

Check this site out as well:

http://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-10-tires-per-category/

I think the cheaper Cooper CS3 has better winter ratings than the CS5. The tread design seems to back up the better reviews with the CS3.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think the cheaper Cooper CS3 has better winter ratings than the CS5. The tread design seems to back up the better reviews with the CS3.

Funny,

I used Copers:
-RS-3 A (now on the Mazda5, front pretty much gone after 32k miles, back still at about 3/8)
-CS5 (on the Yaris)
-CS4 (on the now sold Elantra)

my impression was all where noisy

Since you need an all-season tire, and snow traction is important, consider the Vredestein Quatrac 5.

If you had the space for separate summer/winter tires, I'd suggest:
Sumitomo HTR Z III (summer)
Hankook iCept evo2 W320 (winter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back