What manual tranny did you cut your teeth on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1967 IHC Loadstar dump truck. Non-syncro 1st and 2 speed rear axle. Had a summer job when I was a teen helping a friend's father move a mountain.

My 1st car when I turned 16 was a 71 GMC with 3 on the tree. Had synco 1st.. That was nice.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
75 GMC 2500 4-speed (with "Bull Low" 1st gear, so most of the time you started out in 2nd gear).

I learned in a 79 f150 with the same tranny and the inline 6 It was the only option on the truck. Dad would put it in 1st and let the clutch out then go open the gates while I would steer the truck. He also let me shift for him as we drove. When I started driving a clutch was second nature to me.

A Ford Mustang II.
smile.gif

'46 Plymouth-3 on the tree. Many more column shifters after that, some converted to floor shifters.

My old 2001 Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan/M5OD-R1 5 speed combo, that my mom now owns. Bought the truck in Sept. 2015 and barely knew how to drive a stick, now I'm pretty good at it and I really enjoy it, as before I would shy away at the thought of even driving one. I just can't stand it in traffic. Even though my mom owns it i still drive it fairly often.

First a Massey-Ferguson 165 (thankfully, the neighbors), then a '78 Volkswagen Rabbit.

After that, I got smart and bought my own '76 BMW 2002, restored it on a break from college and flung it around the east coast from St. Peterburgh Florida all the way to Franlink VT on the Canadian border. Man, I wish I had re-stuffed those horse-hair seats before that. I attribute all my back problems now to that.

Any other BMW 2002 and 320i owners want to start a class-action law suit? (joke)

My first manual transmission vehicle was a 1963 Chevy Biscayne I got from my grandfather in 1977. It was a 6 cylinder and had a three speed column shift with non-syncro first gear. Have had a manual ever since:

'63 Chevy Biscayne 3-speed column
'77 F100 3-speed column
'84 F150 4-speed OD floor shift
'95 F150 5-speed OD floor shift
'01 Ranger 5-speed OD floor shift (current vehicle)

40 years of stick shifting and will never tire of it, not in a 1000 years if I could have that long.

First stick I drove I was around 10-ish, was a Ford 8N.

First automotive application I drove with a stick was a Chevy 2500 with the 6.5L diesel. I was 16.

First stick that I owned was my '87 Mustang GT T-Top with the Borg-Warner T-5.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
The entire Ford product lineup from 1978. I was a summer intern for the manual transmission department. That's where I learned to drive a stick.

That's cool!

Grew up working on a farm. Drove tractors and a 2000 F350 7.3 powerstroke manual around the farm and around town often with a 5th wheel trailer full of hay. Very easy truck to learn manual on with the diesel torque.

1st car I actually drove on the road/highway was my friend's 2010 VW Jetta 2.5L.

Three on a tree, 57 FORD 6cyl that was banned from the street due to excessive smoking, would drive around our property when I was 12/13 yrs old, great times
lol.gif

Off road:

1968 Cub Cadet 60 Rear Engine Rider on my grandparents' property (6 HP Tecumseh; 4 speed with separate forward and reverse pedal). This still exists - awaiting restoration.

1970 John Deere 112 (10 HP Kohler, 4 speed) This was at my aunt and uncle's house. This still exists - also awaiting restoration.

My other aunt and uncle's '74 Toyota Celica ST 4 speed 18R-C (if memory serves) in their long driveway. That car was easy to drive. I only drove it on the road once before they junked it in '86 due to rust and a jumped timing chain.

On the road:

My neighbor's 1975 Plymouth Valiant 225 slant 6 with a 3 on the tree.

My first stick shift car was a 1978 VW Rabbit 1.5L 4 speed gas with fuel injection. For a tiny engine that car would burn rubber and flat fly.

Many more manuals followed, but these days we (sadly) have all automatics here.

Andrew S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back