Spray wax instead of regular wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one uses Meguiars carnuba spray wax weekly, does that mean that there is no need to use the regular carnuba paste wax?

Just wondering because if the spray is a wax, what would the benefit be to use the paste?

The benefit is greater durability of a paste. Then the spray wax is used as a booster for optimum protection. I've tried it both ways and prefer applying a paste or even liquid wax at least once a year. Makes a big difference. All the things that gunk up the paint come off a lot easier.

A cheapie wax spreader at Walmart for $25 makes application and removal a breeze. I use Duragloss #101 which is a polish and sealant. Then use their Aquawax spray sealant as a booster and drying aid. Both are around $10 each.

The paste seems to put on a better layer that lasts longer. Some of the pastes also have a bit of cleaner. I like both but the spray is for touch up or after a wash to extend the paste and keep the shoulder from wearing out

I have had really good luck detailing (wash-clay-polish-wax) the car every 6-12 months.

Then, using a spray wax like Dub (Meguiars) or a spray detailer after each wash to extend the original wax protection.

I really like spray waxes to help protect black trim. Keeps my wiper arms looking like new.

Originally Posted By: knerml
I have had really good luck detailing (wash-clay-polish-wax) the car every 6-12 months.

Then, using a spray wax like Dub (Meguiars) or a spray detailer after each wash to extend the original wax protection.

I really like spray waxes to help protect black trim. Keeps my wiper arms looking like new.

+1

Though weekly spray wax works and is better than nothing at all, it really wasn't designed as a primary wax. As others mentioned, it's best used to maintain existing wax. Additionally wax as a paste vs liquid is becoming more of a matter of preference.

Though I'm sure no-one here will stop you from using spray wax. Since you are doing weekly spray wax, it seems like you can set aside the time to put on a coat of any traditional bottle wax then use the spray wax to keep it looking awesome and protected.

Last edited:
Seems like there have been a lot of spray wax threads lately.

I've been using Meguiar's D156 as a drying aid with positive results. For someone who doesn't care about ultimate shine, durability, or would rather spend an extra 1-2 minutes each wash (when you use it as a drying aid it adds virtually no time) than 60+ minutes a couple times a year applying a wax/sealant, I can completely understand how using the D156 could replace it entirely for some folks, not me though.

Last edited:
I get 3 to 4 months out of a coat of Collinite, washing every 2 weeks, using a spray wax after a blade to get thick of the wet off.
Car is used daily.

Last edited:
Not one to wax, usually, but I got a "defective" bottle of Black Magic Fast Wax from work for free and have used it a few times. Spray on, wipe off, don't have to wait for it to dry. It seems to work; water beads up after a rain, at least. I've also used Lucas Slick Mist but couldn't tell it did anything. Nice bubblegum scent, though.

What timing. I just used my first spray wax ever, Eagle One Superior nanowax, and I like it. I have a white car though and all that rubbing and sweating never really produces outstanding results. I actually think the car is rather shiny, for a white car, after using it so I think it was well worth the little effort it took. Water beads like crazy too. It smells like carnuba wax.

My 1994 Astro van's painted area is so huge that the spray wax saves me tons of time. I just use Turtle wax spray wax, quick & last a long time.

Some people use a spray wax over a sealant or a coating to give that a bit of extra shine and depth. Since the sealant is the primary protector, no need for a paste wax.

I use Collinite Insulator wax a few times per year and after each wash a spritz of Turtle Wax "Wax'n Dry" on each panel. Cars always are shiny and bead water well.

Nicely surprised by Turtle Was Ice spray wax . After a base coat of McGuire's Ultimate liquid wax the Turtle Wax Ice spray is long lasting and can be used on rubber , glass , etc. with ease.

I'd never use that stuff. But that's just me.

I garage my Accord. I put on 3 coats of FK1000P and I'm good to go for a year. Simple and DONE.

I recently polished and installed my 3 coats, but got a can of Collinite Super Double Coat 476S from Amazon...so I had to try it out and installed a layer of this product over for the already thick layers of FK1000P.

Spend $50 on the 6" DA polisher at Harbor Freight when you see the coupon. Get some Lake Country CCS pads. Perfect for polishing, applying sealants and waxes, etc. You can also get a clay disc for the DA. Cuts the time spent way down.
I clay and seal about once a year, but spray wax after every wash. Used Megs D156 for a long time, but using Duragloss Aquawax now.

There is very little scientific data here or on most any forum to support that spray wax is any more or less effective than paste or liquid wax. What's the proof? Water beading and how long it keeps beading after application? Slight visual improvement, shine, luster. ....whatever. Beyond that it's entirely anecdotal evidence. When folks start adding how it smells to the discussion it makes it even less scientific. I have zero problem with any of that but no one here has proven the standard line of "spray wax is only good for interim waxing and you must apply paste wax."
Why doesn't five consecutive spray waxings not provide the same or better protection than two paste wax applications over an extended time frame? How do we know that paste wax protects any better than a name brand spray wax...especially some of the newer, more advanced products?

Unless you have the letters D and R before your name or P,H and D after your name....it's nothing but opinion. You all know some version of the expressions regarding those.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
At first I was annoyed by Toros' post but then I re-read it and can't really find much wrong with it. I'll parse a couple things, though.

1. It's nice to have discussions and share experience/opinion with folks interested in similar things
2. It's not about D, R, P, H and D, it's about measurement equipment 99.9% of the population doesn't have access to

As I said in my post, I can fully understand how regularly washing and applying spray wax could obviate the need for traditional "wax" for some. Personally, I'm after that slight visual improvement, shine, luster...

Originally Posted By: gofast182
At first I was annoyed by Toros' post but then I re-read it and can't really find much wrong with it.

I am a full time auto detailer with now 2 locations and actually like that post from Toros. How the heck is an average customer going to know if a spray wax is as good as a paste, liquid etc. That is why I test products on my beater car and a couple of my friends Tow Trucks to see how well they protect and last. And that is why I can say in my opinion, and the opinion of most full time "good" detailers, that spray waxes are no where near effective as the alternative. But I have done the testing to prove this, and the average consumer has nor the time or inventory for this type of test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back